Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative score reasons when applying for CLI

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Negative score reasons when applying for CLI

My credit profile is finally on the upswing after getting rid of the last pesky late payment in September that haunted me for the full 7 years. My utilization
is still a little high but I'm reducing it each month-it's below 30% on most cards. When I try to get my old "bad credit" cards to raise their CLIs, lower
interest, or reduce/eliminate AFs, I'm just running into roadblocks such as this account isn't eligble. I had a Sears card approved in January out of necessity, and the letters I got for my most recent CLI requests list under reasons for score are: "time since most recent account opening too short" The entry about high balances is also reworded and listed 3 times. Why does it matter how recently I opened an account? So far, with one new store card approved, I don't think my AAoA was hurt much, still being about 7 years. My oldest account is over 17 years. I've just gotten one CLI, 3 CLI declines, and I'm looking for good offers of bank cards to apply for that might be approved. I have plenty of store cards, I need 1 or 2 major cards with good CLs I can use everywhere, especially when traveling. I would like a couple of cards now that actually let me buy something without being maxed out on one purchase. How can you know what score they are going to look at? The scores I was given with the CLI declines were at least 30 points lower than myfico scores.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Negative score reasons when applying for CLI

In regards to the score. I learned this lesson a while ago. Some creditors don't SP on a regular basis so when you request a CLI they could be looking at a report that is months old. So your request is being evaluated on old data.

The best thing you can do is look at your softs to see when they last SP'd you. When I looked at EQ I see that Sears did an AR in early Jan and my util was high. So I would wait until they did another AP before I request a CLI.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 3
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Negative score reasons when applying for CLI

@Reighn9 wrote:

My credit profile is finally on the upswing after getting rid of the last pesky late payment in September that haunted me for the full 7 years. My utilization
is still a little high but I'm reducing it each month-it's below 30% on most cards. When I try to get my old "bad credit" cards to raise their CLIs, lower
interest, or reduce/eliminate AFs, I'm just running into roadblocks such as this account isn't eligble. I had a Sears card approved in January out of necessity, and the letters I got for my most recent CLI requests list under reasons for score are: "time since most recent account opening too short" The entry about high balances is also reworded and listed 3 times. Why does it matter how recently I opened an account? So far, with one new store card approved, I don't think my AAoA was hurt much, still being about 7 years. My oldest account is over 17 years. I've just gotten one CLI, 3 CLI declines, and I'm looking for good offers of bank cards to apply for that might be approved. I have plenty of store cards, I need 1 or 2 major cards with good CLs I can use everywhere, especially when traveling. I would like a couple of cards now that actually let me buy something without being maxed out on one purchase. How can you know what score they are going to look at? The scores I was given with the CLI declines were at least 30 points lower than myfico scores.

Okay: It matters how recently you opened an account because when you ask them for a higher balance, you have high utilization, and you have recently applied for credit, it looks like you really need money right now. Creditors consider this credit seeking behavior to be risky. Get your reported util under 10%, and they will approve it, probably.

In order to see what report they will pull, google credit pull database.....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.