Negativity Around US Bank Cash+?

tag
knhorn
Contributor

Re: Negativity Around US Bank Cash+?

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

It's still a good card. I believe most of the negativity stems from members who have had the card at its peak and have since seen it decline. If you find the 5% categories useful, then app for it. What I liked most about the Cash+ (and most of its members too) was 5% CB in restaurants. This included any eating establishment, bars, venues, etc. U.S. Bank has nerfed the 5% to categories that most people will never fully utilize. The now 2% gas, groceries, and restaurants are trash. If the 5% categories make sense for you, go for it.

This. 

The card used to be much better, now it is meh. Not terrible, just Ok. 

Also, two other things

1) US Bank is generally a more difficult to deal with than other banks. Their IT is getting better, but still a bit behind. 

2) US Bank does this thing where you apply for the Cash+ and they can give you another card instead (one that you didn't request) if they think you won't qualify. This is annoying to say the least. 

There is also a little of what you said: people are afraid the card will get nerfed again in the future. Hard to imagine how, but... 

Wait, timeout. If I don't get this card, they'll send me another one? Lol, what if I don't want that card?

Definitely. It's a trash 1% CB card.

Message 11 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

It's still a good card. I believe most of the negativity stems from members who have had the card at its peak and have since seen it decline. If you find the 5% categories useful, then app for it. What I liked most about the Cash+ (and most of its members too) was 5% CB in restaurants. This included any eating establishment, bars, venues, etc. U.S. Bank has nerfed the 5% to categories that most people will never fully utilize. The now 2% gas, groceries, and restaurants are trash. If the 5% categories make sense for you, go for it.

This. 

Also, two other things

1) US Bank is generally a more difficult to deal with than other banks. Their IT is getting better, but still a bit behind. 

2) US Bank does this thing where you apply for the Cash+ and they can give you another card instead (one that you didn't request) if they think you won't qualify. This is annoying to say the least. 

There is also a little of what you said: people are afraid the card will get nerfed again in the future. Hard to imagine how, but... 

Wait, timeout. If I don't get this card, they'll send me another one? Lol, what if I don't want that card?

Yeah if they don't think you "deserve" the Cash+ they may just issue you a lower tier card without your consent. It sucks to say the least.

Actually, your above statement is not accurate.  It is clearly spelled in their T&C BEFORE you apply.  So, this isn't a question about "consent".  If you don't qualify or do not meet the criteria for the Cash+, you will be considered for the other one:

If you do not qualify for the U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card, you will automatically be considered for the U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa® Card that earns 1% cash back on all net purchases, but does not offer the 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories.

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

This. 

Also, two other things

Yeah if they don't think you "deserve" the Cash+ they may just issue you a lower tier card without your consent. It sucks to say the least.

Actually, your above statement is not accurate.  It is clearly spelled in their T&C BEFORE you apply.  So, this isn't a question about "consent".  If you don't qualify or do not meet the criteria for the Cash+, you will be considered for the other one:

If you do not qualify for the U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card, you will automatically be considered for the U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa® Card that earns 1% cash back on all net purchases, but does not offer the 5% and 2% Cash+ Categories.

Right thank you for the correction. Consent was not the correct word for me to use. What I meant by that statement was that you cannot really turn down the lower tier card if you are denied for the Cash+. The only option that I'm aware of would be to just close the new account.

Message 13 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

This. 

Also, two other things

Right thank you for the correction. Consent was not the correct word for me to use. What I meant by that statement was that you cannot really turn down the lower tier card if you are denied for the Cash+. The only option that I'm aware of would be to just close the new account.

Or, in some cases, one can keep the other "lesser" version for about 12 months and grow it (say if the CL wasn't as optimal).  In the past, it was an issue because the Cash+ was geographically restricted (although there were workarounds for some folks), only to land a lesser than expected product. 

But, it appears (based on anecdotal evidence), some folks have been successful with PC'ing to Cash+ once they CLI > $5,000.  Granted, not the most optimal outcome but still doable.

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

This. 

Also, two other things

Or, in some cases, one can keep the other "lesser" version for about 12 months and grow it (say if the CL wasn't as optimal).  In the past, it was an issue because the Cash+ was geographically restricted (although there were workarounds for some folks), only to land a lesser than expected product. 

But, it appears (based on anecdotal evidence), some folks have been successful with PC'ing to Cash+ once they CLI > $5,000.  Granted, not the most optimal outcome but still doable.

That's good to know but it sounds like a lot of work for a fairly standard card. 

Message 15 of 48
mmoon24
Valued Member

Yep, was just thinking the same thing. That's a lot of work to put in. Guess I'll order my FICO score and see where I stand currently.

Current Cards:
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (5/2013): CL - $9,900
Chase Freedom (7/2013): CL - $8,700
Chase Freedom (8/2012): CL - $7,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited (7/2007): CL - $3,300
US Bank Cash+ (04/2015): CL - $5,000
Chase Sapphire Reserved (01/2017): CL - $14,000
Message 16 of 48
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mmoon24 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@knhorn wrote:

This. 

Also, two other things

That's good to know but it sounds like a lot of work for a fairly standard card. 

I agree.  Now, if one has a pretty decent/overall clean profile (good scores, meets minimum income criteria, low inqs/very few new accounts, etc.); then those chances for approval would be pretty much guaranteed.  When I applied for Cash+, it was at the local branch - took only a couple days for processing (manual review due to address/ID variance) but ultimately approved for what I selected.  No "bait and switch", no "lesser" version.

Message 17 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mmoon24 wrote:

Yep, was just thinking the same thing. That's a lot of work to put in. Guess I'll order my FICO score and see where I stand currently.

Let us know how your report looks and I'm sure you'll get a YES or NO to apply from some of the experts here.

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar     Yeah I would only apply if I was 99% sure I would get it. Otherwise it seems like it isn't worth the trouble.

Message 19 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well, it sucks to be issued the lesser card but what would you have otherwise? A wasted HP?

I dunno, something is better than nothing if they don't wanna give you the better card. I don't think Cash+'s remaining 5 percent categories are especially useful, but YMMV. They're certainly nothing exciting to me but it depends on your spend as always.
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.