Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negativity Around US Bank Cash+?

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Negativity Around US Bank Cash+?

@Involver wrote:

Still use this card but only for the 5% gym really.  I moved my cell phone spending over to Ink Plus.  It's one of my highest credit lines though surprisingly, so it's going to stay open for quite a while.

Doing cell phone and car rental pretty well. Haven't done the $100 CB yet, maybe in a couple of months.

Like the card so far, rewards are easy to see and check.

Message 41 of 48
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nerfing and US Nerf bank.

This. US Bank, as an institution, is just as much a negative as the nerfs themselves. I've just never had good experiences with the bank and if possible, I will refrain from doing business with them. The fact the card has been nerfed into oblivion only further validates my position.

Message 42 of 48
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EDIT: This is important to know as many of us forgot to mention it. As LearningFast14 stated: US Bank does this thing where you apply for the Cash+ and they can give you another card instead (one that you didn't request) if they think you won't qualify. This is annoying to say the least. Yeah that's something to be aware of... If they don't think your profile supports a Cash+ approval they will just issue you a lower tier card without your consent or anything. That is not really very fair to say the least.

^^^ And this is what happened to me at first. Needless to say, I was none too please. I had a few choice words for the poor CSR that had the unfortunate luck of picking up my phone call. NOT a good business model if you want to build a good rapport with new customers by deceiving them like this.

Message 43 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

EDIT: This is important to know as many of us forgot to mention it. As LearningFast14 stated: US Bank does this thing where you apply for the Cash+ and they can give you another card instead (one that you didn't request) if they think you won't qualify. This is annoying to say the least. Yeah that's something to be aware of... If they don't think your profile supports a Cash+ approval they will just issue you a lower tier card without your consent or anything. That is not really very fair to say the least.

^^^ And this is what happened to me at first. Needless to say, I was none too please. I had a few choice words for the poor CSR that had the unfortunate luck of picking up my phone call. NOT a good business model if you want to build a good rapport with new customers by deceiving them like this.

And as shown in http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/So-I-just-got-approved-and/td-p/3952579, Amex also does this.

Message 44 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They aren't decieving you, though. It's clearly stated on the terms and conditions. Whether you choose to read them or not before applying is on you, but they aren't being dishonest about it.

Having "choice words" for a CSR (who was not at fault) was not the right way to go IMO. You have to do your homework when applying for a card. It has nothing to do with the CSR, and everything to do with you reading the terms of the card for which you're applying. Why be rude to a CSR who did nothing to you in this situation? They're a person too.

I don't understand the hate for it anyway. Again, what would you have if they didn't give you the lesser card? You'd have no card and a wasted HP. At least it's a foot in the door that you can later PC. I don't see the big problem, especially since they are NOT dishonest about it!

Message 45 of 48
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I used to have this card, but closed it because it was basically SDed. I could get 5% CB on my cellphone bill from Ink Cash and 5% on my gym membership wasn't important enough for me to keep it open. Not to mention their web 1.0 website, dining split up into 2 categories, reporting to CRAs on the last business day of the month instead of when statement closed, loooing wait tine when calling customer service, etc.

Message 46 of 48
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Nerfing and US Nerf bank.

This. US Bank, as an institution, is just as much a negative as the nerfs themselves. I've just never had good experiences with the bank and if possible, I will refrain from doing business with them. The fact the card has been nerfed into oblivion only further validates my position.

It's not easy to see how the categories have gone to "oblivion"; people do have use for the categories on offer. Not everyone may find this card useful, but it's not a card that'll just sit there for everyone else.

For me, this card is finding more spend per month than my QuickSilver, for this quarter (and as I foresee, for the rest of the year). Does it mean Q/S has been driven to oblivion? For many people who don't have specialized store cards, it offers round-the-year 5% on clothing and department stores, 5% on car rentals with Visa Signature collision damage / roadside assistance, 5% bookstores (which going by MCC, may very well include Amazon), also gym, cell phone, electronics, sporting goods etc. 

It may not suit your need; just as Citi TY Premier / Prestige / AMEX Platinum doesn't suit my needs. To me, their rewards will seem lacklustre, along with some hefty annual fee for next to nothing. I don't go around saying those are some sad cards. 

And please, let's stop making US Bank the bait 'n' switch bad boy. AMEX does it too, as a poster mentioned. Other banks generally have the same reward structure across Plat / Signature / World / World Elite etc levels so when they auto downgrade, rewards remain the same. But many of them do auto downgrades, giving away Plat cards instead of Sig cards. 

This card costs $0 in AF; and posters have success with upgrading the low-tier card later. 

US Bank is reluctant to PC co-branded cards but so are most banks.

Message 47 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied it a year ago and was given a 1% CB card which I didnt apply for with a very poor limit of 1000. I was surprised when i got that rewards whatever card and had to close the account calling them. I, from that moment, never ever recommend any of my friends to this STUPID-EST Bank for any sort of business.

What were your scores then?

The scores were around 710+ then and I wasn't bothered coz I was denied for the Cash+ and its the lenders own choice of approving me or not, but coz they sent me some other stupid card which i was no way interested in.

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.