Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neiman Marcus .....declined

tag
Maldanado
Valued Member

Neiman Marcus .....declined

I applied today for the Neiman Marcus credit card online, and was declined. I called the HSBC back door number but was transferred over to NM's customer service. I was told I was declined automatically because of too many inquiries. I explained that I had been shopping for a new car the past 2 weeks so It shouldn't count against me. At which point I was told that they couldn't override it because the system automatically declined because of that reason.

Starting Score: 628EQ 597TU
Current Score: 690EQ 662TU 669EX (lender pull)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Neiman Marcus .....declined

@Maldanado wrote:
I applied today for the Neiman Marcus credit card online, and was declined. I called the HSBC back door number but was transferred over to NM's customer service. I was told I was declined automatically because of too many inquiries. I explained that I had been shopping for a new car the past 2 weeks so It shouldn't count against me. At which point I was told that they couldn't override it because the system automatically declined because of that reason.

Sorry to hear that.  Are you sure the only inquiries are from car shopping?

Message 2 of 13
Maldanado
Valued Member

There were 4 inquiries on each of my reports before I started applying for car loans.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maldanado wrote:
There were 4 inquiries on each of my reports before I started applying for car loans.

IMO, getting denied for 5 inquiries (4+1 for your car loans) is understandable.

Message 4 of 13
Maldanado
Valued Member

Really? I think it would be understandable if all of the other inquiries were from me searching out credit. Sometimes a creditor/collection agency will hard pull you just because they can. I've had it happen 3 times in the last 2 months when I called to pay off some debts.

Message 5 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear that. I've had inq put on by CAs as well. It s*cks, but unfortunately the law say they can do that.

If that was the only reason for denial, try waiting 3 to 6 months and re-app. (depending on the age of your inq.) You might also try calling again and ask for a supervisor @ HSBC and see if you might get somewhere. If not, try a supervisor @ Neiman's. I'm always going over CS rep's heads (not just credit-related stuff), and it frequently pays off. Usually CS reps are limited in what they can do, and sometimes a supervisor has authority to do things CS reps can't.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 13
Maldanado
Valued Member

I will try to get a supervisor on the phone tomorrow. HSBC doesn't handle the NM card, at least that's what a cs rep told me.

Message 7 of 13
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Definitely worth a recon and ask for someone higher like a credit analysts who can bypass the computer. You have to understand, the computer is not going to know you are shopping for rates when buying a car, all it know is that you have multiple iqs in a short period of time and it was told to declined ppl that falls into that group. GL...I hope you are able to get your foot in the door.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maldanado wrote:
Really? I think it would be understandable if all of the other inquiries were from me searching out credit. Sometimes a creditor/collection agency will hard pull you just because they can. I've had it happen 3 times in the last 2 months when I called to pay off some debts.

You might try a recon.  The CSR may not be able to override anything, but an underwriter or someone with more authority than a CSR probably can.

Message 9 of 13
Maldanado
Valued Member

The only problem will be getting to someone higher up.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.