Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nerfed Cards

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Nerfed Cards

I have two Citi cards. A previously owned Dividend that I upgraded to Double Cash and a TYP that I also want to upgrade to Double Cash(chat rep confirmed I could have two). What should happen if the Double Cash gets nerfed? Will I be left without cards or will I just lose the rewards on the cards?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Nerfed Cards

@JSS3 wrote:

I have two Citi cards. A previously owned Dividend that I upgraded to Double Cash and a TYP that I also want to upgrade to Double Cash(chat rep confirmed I could have two). What should happen if the Double Cash gets nerfed? Will I be left without cards or will I just lose the rewards on the cards?

By "definition" (quotes because there really isn't one!)  a nerfed card is one where the rewards change in some negative way (lower rates, harder to redeem, less coverage etc).    So if the card became nerfed, such as switching to a 0.75% + 0.75%  (still paying you twice!)  you would have two of those.

The other case is when the issuer does, in effect, a compulsory PC, where card X is discontinued and replaced for all with card Y (which probably is less good!)   So in that case you would have two of the new card

So rewards would go down (or be different) but you would still have two cards.

Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

By "definition" (quotes because there really isn't one!)  a nerfed card is one where the rewards change in some negative way (lower rates, harder to redeem, less coverage etc).    So if the card became nerfed, such as switching to a 0.75% + 0.75%  (still paying you twice!)  you would have two of those.

The other case is when the issuer does, in effect, a compulsory PC, where card X is discontinued and replaced for all with card Y (which probably is less good!)   So in that case you would have two of the new card

Since the DC doesn't have a cap, and redeeming on 2 requires the $25 min on each, I would consider whether you should do the 2nd PC, unless you need it for the CL on a 2x card.  I would be temtped to leave the TYP (and not use, or use only in the 2x categories) just so you have some diversity against DC nerfring or forced PC.

Message 3 of 4
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

Since the DC doesn't have a cap, and redeeming on 2 requires the $25 min on each, I would consider whether you should do the 2nd PC, unless you need it for the CL on a 2x card.  I would be temtped to leave the TYP (and not use, or use only in the 2x categories) just so you have some diversity against DC nerfring or forced PC.

Something to think about. My TYP(5,100) currently has a higher limit than my Double Cash(4,000). I wanted the 2% on both cards..like when I had two Cap1 Quicksilvers. While I like my TYP for points on Amazon, it's not 1:1 redemption. The more cashback the better. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.