cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about asking for Amex to backdate....what do you all think?

tag
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nervous about asking for Amex to backdate....what do you all think?

@newmomnewme wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

Yes, wait a day. My understanding is that it usually takes a business day or two for them to create the TL account for you.

Thanks. I just set it up yesterday...I will try again tomorrow; I just got an email saying my BCE was on the way. What about my PRG? J/K....I am just so worried that they are going to say "nevermind" or "we made a mistake" LOL

Got my PRG 2 days after approval.  I believe it's usually expedited via UPS & will come very nicely packaged.  If you don't get it within the next day or two, then maybe call in to check the status, but IMO, you don't have anything to worry about!  Smiley Wink

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 21 of 38
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@FastForward wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

Yes, wait a day. My understanding is that it usually takes a business day or two for them to create the TL account for you.

Thanks. I just set it up yesterday...I will try again tomorrow; I just got an email saying my BCE was on the way. What about my PRG? J/K....I am just so worried that they are going to say "nevermind" or "we made a mistake" LOL

Got my PRG 2 days after approval.  I believe it's usually expedited via UPS & will come very nicely packaged.  If you don't get it within the next day or two, then maybe call in to check the status, but IMO, you don't have anything to worry about!  Smiley Wink

Thanks. I will just wait and see. I don't know why I am sweating this sooooooo much. I just wanted to get back into the Amex fold. I am happy with that.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 22 of 38
speyegurl

Hi!  I just thought I’d share my experience with AMEX backdating.

I had a revolver account with them which was opened in 1999 but that was in my early 20’s and had no idea about backdating.  In fact, I wasn’t aware of this “perk” until I began frequenting the forums here.  Anyway, in the process of credit rebuilding, I applied and was approved for a green AMEX last year.  Still not aware of backdating, my new card arrived with the member since date reflected as 2013.  Yesterday,  my curiosity got the best of me and I logged into my AMEX account, started a chat session and inquired about my old, closed revolver opening date of 1999.  I was told that my green card should have had that date printed on it.  Since it did not, AMEX is sending me a new card and as of this morning when I logged into my account, it now reflects my member since date of 1999.

Just wanted to let you know, it’s definitely worth checking into. Good luck and congrats on your approvals!

Message 23 of 38
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@speyegurl wrote:

Hi!  I just thought I’d share my experience with AMEX backdating.

I had a revolver account with them which was opened in 1999 but that was in my early 20’s and had no idea about backdating.  In fact, I wasn’t aware of this “perk” until I began frequenting the forums here.  Anyway, in the process of credit rebuilding, I applied and was approved for a green AMEX last year.  Still not aware of backdating, my new card arrived with the member since date reflected as 2013.  Yesterday,  my curiosity got the best of me and I logged into my AMEX account, started a chat session and inquired about my old, closed revolver opening date of 1999.  I was told that my green card should have had that date printed on it.  Since it did not, AMEX is sending me a new card and as of this morning when I logged into my account, it now reflects my member since date of 1999.

Just wanted to let you know, it’s definitely worth checking into. Good luck and congrats on your approvals!

Thanks!!!! I just want these cards to get HERE!!!  LOL

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 24 of 38
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

First, as others have said, make sure you check your online account once you have your cards.  The member date on the physical card doesn't matter.  They are often sent out from batch stock before your member date is checked.  If your member date is correct online, that will be the date that is reported regardless of what is on the physical card.  Then, if you really want the card to also say the same date, you can have them replace the card with a simple phone call.

In the event that your member since date is not correct online, I would think about it a bit more before trying to have it corrected.  Yes, there are several people that have been able to get their original member since date even with unpaid charge offs, but ask yourself whether it is worth it.  The first part of that is understanding what effect it is even going to have.  A lot of people just assume that adding an old card is going to have a huge effect on their AAoA without actually doing the calculation.  For example, if your AAoA is 2 years with 15 accounts, adding a 20 year old account is only going to add about 1 year to your AAoA.  If you have much fewer accounts, your AAoA could improve a lot more.  In any  event, this is something I would consider before making the request.  If it's only going to add a year, to me, it wouldn't be worth poking the bear. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 38
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

First, as others have said, make sure you check your online account once you have your cards.  The member date on the physical card doesn't matter.  They are often sent out from batch stock before your member date is checked.  If your member date is correct online, that will be the date that is reported regardless of what is on the physical card.  Then, if you really want the card to also say the same date, you can have them replace the card with a simple phone call.

<snip>

This is exactly what happened with me. I had burned Amex in my younger days, but they decided to let me back in. When they sent my card, it had the current year. But, when I logged into my account, my original member since date was shown. I called and asked for a card that matched my MSD and they cheerfully agreed to do so and promptly sent it to me.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 26 of 38
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Same here. Burnt them, and they've been nothing short of spectacular to me
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 27 of 38
phonic
Contributor

For people who had to call to get the MSD fixed, does the credit report account date change automatically, or do you need to request it?

This past December, I added a new BCP and added myself back as an AU on another card I was before. BCP MSD was correct and is showing 2010 on my CRs. The AU card had the wrong date (2013), and is showing as 2013 on my CR. It's only one billing statement so I'm going to wait until the next one posts before calling, but I was hoping they would automatically adjust the date submitted to the CR.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 28 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@phonic wrote:

For people who had to call to get the MSD fixed, does the credit report account date change automatically, or do you need to request it?

This past December, I added a new BCP and added myself back as an AU on another card I was before. BCP MSD was correct and is showing 2010 on my CRs. The AU card had the wrong date (2013), and is showing as 2013 on my CR. It's only one billing statement so I'm going to wait until the next one posts before calling, but I was hoping they would automatically adjust the date submitted to the CR.

The credit report was correct on all of mine. 

Message 29 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@09Lexie wrote:

@phonic wrote:

The credit report was correct on all of mine. 

The backdated MSD on your cr is only for cards you are the primary; ACMs are not backdated on the CR's 

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.