Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about my card choices

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nervous about my card choices

BofA is reporting only $2000 limit now. Since 2003  (new cli as of last month)

AMEX isn't reporting yet. Neither of the two cards I have with them. Approved last month

BBRZ is only $800 Since 2003

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 11 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I wish I could give you some hard statistics but here's what I do know.  Chase and Citi both like to match current limits if approved.  Because your new accounts haven't reported yet, your score will take a bump for the worse unless it helps with your utility %.  Then the bump may be a wash but I'm still think net decline in FICO.  You could garden for 6 months with your new credit and app then for the Chase/Citi/Barclays card of choice and probably get a higher limit because of your 5K cards reporting with history or app now and get a lower limit card that will grow.  I'm thinking if you app now Chase, probably get a 2K to 4K limit.  If you app 6 months from now,  probably 5K+ limit with a lower APR.  Just my guessing right now. Smiley Happy  Hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide.  I'm with Bichonmom.... app the card that suits your needs the best but I think you have your best chance with Freedom.  Seems they have lowered their approval criteria lately.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

This is what I'm thinking after all sage advice that I got:

App now for the Freedom (I like cash back cards vs. points) because the inq will age off around the same time as the others and I'll have 6 months to a year more history than if I waited. 

I can always wait until tomorrow to see if BofA's CL will report. It took a couple days to report after my last CLI.

I'll have 1 card reporting 5k for Chase to see.

This way, even if I have a <$5k card from them, it'll still be reporting a CL and I'll have that advantage for my scores. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 13 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

BoA reported my $5000 CL to EQ, but it's not showing up on TU or EX. 

UGH!! What do I do? Take the chance in hopes that Chase pulls EQ and matches my limit?

Message 14 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

BoA reported my $5000 CL to EQ, but it's not showing up on TU or EX. 

UGH!! What do I do? Take the chance in hopes that Chase pulls EQ and matches my limit?

You could wait for EX and TU to catch up or take a chance and app.  If you can wait, I'd wait and get that 5K limit reporting. Smiley Happy  TU is notorious for reporting late (it could be 3 more days before it shows up) but I am surprised that EX doesn't already show it.  What state do you live in?

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I'm in Connecticut. Any idea as to who Chase pulls here?

According to USAA CMS, only EQ is showing it. I can wait a few days to have EX and TU catch up.

Message 16 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

LOL- bad news. From what I can tell, Connecticut residents either get TU or EX pulled for credit approvals with Chase based on the credit pulls database. What luck! I don't put too much stock in that database but I wouldn't chance it either if you want Chase to see your new limits. Smiley Happy.

Message 17 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Just an FYI- the last entry on that database was 12/11 so really it could be any of the CRAs they pull.

Message 18 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I think it's best that they do see my new limits. I'll wait. Maybe tomorrow. Thank you for your help. I think the Freedom card will be what I need to round everything out.
Message 19 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

You are welcome! I live vicariously through others on this site. LOL. My apping days are over (I have the cards I want now) but I like to help strategically plan other's CC journey.  I learn so much everyday from this site. Got to love myFICO! Smiley Happy. BTW- I think you are already totally Prime now.  Just a matter of CLs and getting the cards that benefit you the most. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.