Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never done a product change before

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Never done a product change before

So I wouldn't even know what PC meant except for these boards. I have an AT & T Universal card; its my longest standing CC at more than 14 years. I was able to keep it through Ch. 7 BK in 2001 b/c it had 0 balance. However, I've never once been able to get a CLI. I mainly use it for OL purchases and medical bills. I love the virtual card number option.

Now, they have just updated their website and its supposed to show your card when you log in but my card looks nothing like their picture so I called in to ask about it. Its not a big deal (about the picture) but during the conversation I mentioned that I never use the calling card features since I have a cell phone and asked about what other cards I might be able to get.

I could easily switch to the AT & T Universal Savings and Rewards card without even changing my card number but the interest rate would go from 11.97% to 12.99%. I could also try for a CitiCard, I think it was the CitiDividends, but I think that would entail a new card number and higher rate as well.

So, here are my questions: should I do the PC and, if so, what to? If I do a PC, might I become more likely to get CLI's? I just wonder if I can somehow get away from the current stigma I'm under. (I feel like they couldn't get rid of me for the BK since they were not included, but don't want to ever reward good behaviour.)
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CodeMonkey
Contributor

Re: Never done a product change before

For what it's worth, I just recently reactivated an old AT&T Universal card of mine and changed it to a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards over the phone.

Took less than 10 minutes, and the rep was very helpful - I did use the backdoor number, and made sure to call during the day, since it seems like they route nighttime calls to an offshore call center with generally less-than-helpful reps (in my experience).

I'm not sure if the interest rate is higher or not - I usually don't pay attention to that stuff since I don't carry balances - but I'd guess it may be a point or two more.

Don't know if a product change will help you with that BK issue - but at the very least it's a nicer card and you'll get something out of it.

(Though if you carry balances the higher interest rate may very well nullify any additional returns you get from having a rewards program on the card.)

Good luck. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 3
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Re: Never done a product change before

I don't plan to carry a balance unless there is an irresistible BT offer. (Still trying to get rid of our Providian.) I was looking at product descriptions on citicards.com and I am curious how PC works. For example, if it says 5 TY points for each $1 for first 6 months, then 1, if I change into that product will the intro period apply to me?
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.