Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never leave a balance on AMEX

tag
steffiejoe
Contributor

Never leave a balance on AMEX

For the first time ever I  called the number on the back of my Amex Clear card and requested a credit line increase. Denied due to my payment history.

I should have known better but I had to learn the hard way.

Background info:

I have the Clear AMEX with a $10, 600 limit. I have had this card since 2007. For the past year I have kept a balance between $800-$1000.00 on the card. Always paid more then the minimum amount due. Before this year I would PIF. I have only had one CLI since having this card 4 years.

I guess its true what they say never leave a balance on the AMEX cards. Lesson learned I have submitted a payment today paying the balance off.

Your credit score
Source: Equifax Date: April 29, 2015
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Never leave a balance on AMEX

It's never a good idea to carry any balance with Amex especially high balance. I'm surprised they haven't decreased your credit limit. I wouldn't ask for any cli if I have any high balance with any creditor. They might close your account or CLD.

Ron.

Message 2 of 34
steffiejoe
Contributor

I guess I am lucky they have not done that. But to me  800-1000, is not that high of a balance. Lesson learned this is not a real revolving credit card. They want you to pay in full. From this day on I will use it like a charge card, PIF.

Your credit score
Message 3 of 34
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

You typed 10,600 balance.. did you mean you have a 10,600 limit? or you are carrying a balance that big?

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 34
steffiejoe
Contributor

sorry my credit limit is 10, 600. My balance was between 800-1000. I will correct the OP.

Your credit score
Message 5 of 34
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Did you purposely leave $800-1000 on it instead of paying it off? 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 6 of 34
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i still am one of those that seriously dont believe this idea that amex has an aversion to carrying a balance. i just think they are more sensitive about it. its about profitability and risk level.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 34
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

case in point.... however, here we are dealing with balance transfers. but here is amex's exact thoughts on this... this comes from amex's BT faq section.

Why would I want to do a balance transfer?
Most people do not pay off their credit cards in full each month, they "carry a balance." If you are carrying a balance on your other credit cards, balance transfers can save you a lot of money in Finance Charges. Why? Because when you transfer balances to your American Express Card Account, we can give you a lower promotional interest rate and a bigger credit line.

Why does American Express want me to do a balance transfer?
It's simple. If you bring us your business, we can afford to give you better terms. If you have no balances with us, we can't afford to give you a promotional rate or a higher credit line.

remember, this is not my word or opinion of what amex said. this is really what they have stated.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 8 of 34
android01
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

case in point.... however, here we are dealing with balance transfers. but here is amex's exact thoughts on this... this comes from amex's BT faq section.

Why would I want to do a balance transfer?
Most people do not pay off their credit cards in full each month, they "carry a balance." If you are carrying a balance on your other credit cards, balance transfers can save you a lot of money in Finance Charges. Why? Because when you transfer balances to your American Express Card Account, we can give you a lower promotional interest rate and a bigger credit line.

Why does American Express want me to do a balance transfer?
It's simple. If you bring us your business, we can afford to give you better terms. If you have no balances with us, we can't afford to give you a promotional rate or a higher credit line.

remember, this is not my word or opinion of what amex said. this is really what they have stated.

+1.  Something like 15 out of 19 Amex products are revolvers.  My guess is that if they didn't want people to carry a balance, they would only offer charge cards.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 34
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I have never had a problem carrying a balance on an AMEX revolver, and have had 3.  As long as I paid my bill on time, they didn't care. I even got a CLI once while carrying a balance. They want to earn interest income, or they go out of business quickly, so there shouldn't be an aversion to it.

Every person will have a different experience with AMEX, but to say that they don't want people to use their revolvers is simply incorrect. In AMEX' eyes, the BEST customer is someone who pays his bill off over time, but never misses a payment.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.