Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never leave a balance on AMEX

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: Never leave a balance on AMEX

probably no one right now has that function. i recall reading that amex is discontinuing the online cli button temporarily.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 31 of 34
score_building
Senior Contributor

luv button currently shows online for my amex cc.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 32 of 34
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

@steffiejoe wrote:

Just got off the phone with the line of credit dept. 

It was my extended fraud alert which triggered the decline. Once I verified my identity my increase was approved!!!

Now my credit line is $20,000.00 .Thanks everyone who responded , this board is amazing!!

I did ask the rep about carrying a balance and he said there is some universal rule(his words not mine) that if you are going to carry a balance you should make sure you pay more then minimum(which I always do). He said it looks good if you PIF before you request  a credit line increase. 

They don't have to worry , from this day forward I will always PIF...

Your closing comment leaves the impression that you still believe one should not use Amex credit cards like credit cards.

Your thread is the type that induces the hysteria about having a balance on Amex and others. The way your situation played out, it would have been more fair and helpful to those who read in the future that you made an assumption which proved wrong and that people should always remember there are many potential reasons for actions.

You said to to trust you that you knew there were no negatives on your record and yet you did not seem to remember the freeze which is most definitely treated as a negative by most banks.

Of course how you handle the start and the outcome of your thread is up to you.

Nice increase, enjoy,

CI

Message 33 of 34
steffiejoe
Contributor

@CI

Your closing comment leaves the impression that you still believe one should not use Amex credit cards like credit cards. Your thread is the type that induces the hysteria about having a balance on Amex and others. The way your situation played out, it would have been more fair and helpful to those who read in the future that you made an assumption which proved wrong and that people should always remember there are many potential reasons for actions. You said to to trust you that you knew there were no negatives on your record and yet you did not seem to remember the freeze which is most definitely treated as a negative by most banks. Of course how you handle the start and the outcome of your thread is up to you. Nice increase, enjoy, CI

Well the last Rep told me that you can use the Clear card as a credit card. But just to be on the safe side  I will never carry a balance  .That's just to make sure I have a peace of mind.

Sorry I assumed the initial decline was because  I carried a balance , but honestly that's what I thought. I was not trying to cause confusion or create  hysteria.

Before the other Rep replied to my email , I did think it was because I had carried a balance on my account. Once she said it was security reasons , I started to think about the Extended Fraud alerts on my Credit reports. I did not know the Extended  Fraud alert could effect my current cards. I know the Extended Fraud alert prevents new accounts from being opened in my name . I do not have a freeze on my credit reports . There is no need since I have the extended fraud alert. Why would a freeze be considered negative? I would think a freeze is for protection, which is a positive in my mind.

Hope this clears up any confusionSmiley Wink...

Your credit score
Source: Equifax Date: April 29, 2015
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.