cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never noticed before about Visa Signature...

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Never noticed before about Visa Signature...

@drsmith wrote:

Any links to show this primary coverage on cards?

I rent cars for a living, and there are very few cards I know of that provide that benefit.

Since I have to rent cars quite often, I read the agreement.  It isn't the "standard" Visa Sig agreement, but this way is titled "United Mileage Plus Guide to Benefits."

Under the terms of agreement, "Auto Rental CDW is primary coverage.  In other words, you do not have to claim payment from any source of insurance before receiving coverage under the benefit."

"This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured."

Covered losses are:

- Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle

- Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the rental agency through a fleet utilization log (such as Amex?)

- Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility

From the above, this is primary coverage.  Usually, if one has a personal auto policy, credit card rental car insurance policies act as secondary.  In other words, it is only excessive coverage that goes above the limits of one's PAP.

In this case, as stipulated by the agreement, the cardholder is under no obligation to claim his PAP, since this is Primary.  Of course, one's PAP will still cover any damages that go beyond the scope of what's offered by the card.

In my view, this is an excellent benefit.

Message 11 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

Any links to show this primary coverage on cards?

I rent cars for a living, and there are very few cards I know of that provide that benefit.

Since I have to rent cars quite often, I read the agreement.  It isn't the "standard" Visa Sig agreement, but this way is titled "United Mileage Plus Guide to Benefits."

Under the terms of agreement, "Auto Rental CDW is primary coverage.  In other words, you do not have to claim payment from any source of insurance before receiving coverage under the benefit."

"This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured."

Covered losses are:

- Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle

- Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the rental agency through a fleet utilization log (such as Amex?)

- Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility

From the above, this is primary coverage.  Usually, if one has a personal auto policy, credit card rental car insurance policies act as secondary.  In other words, it is only excessive coverage that goes above the limits of one's PAP.

In this case, as stipulated by the agreement, the cardholder is under no obligation to claim his PAP, since this is Primary.  Of course, one's PAP will still cover any damages that go beyond the scope of what's offered by the card.

In my view, this is an excellent benefit.

+1

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

Need more info

I'm sure there is an exclusion that coverage is only primary if you don't have personal car insurance.

That's pretty much the definition of secondary coverage.  I don't think they would call that primary.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my UA Explorer card for about a month now and I love it. Got it for the rewards. I prefer airline miles to cashback since I want to get upgrades/first class flights every so often more than I want a free flight in coach. Aspirational awards since I could never afford or justify purchasing first class or an upgrade outright.

Not so much interested in the primary rental insurance since I mostly travel to larger cities where public transportation is an easier option but I am really curious about the price protection and trip delay insurance.

I have my benefit book as well but havent read it since I dont plan to travel for a while. I wonder if the price protection will apply to United flights? If you buy your ticket and the price goes down a few weeks later does that mean Chase will credit me the difference? If you try to do that from the airline it is considered a flight change and 150 change fee.

For trip delay insurance if your flight is cancelled due to weather you have to pay for your own hotel, although the airline can help you out with a hotel discount at least. With trip delay insurance would Chase cover the hotel room?

Really love this card so far and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface on what it can do.

Message 14 of 17
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

hmm, wonder what the cap one version is..

Message 15 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Really love this card so far and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface on what it can do.

Likewise, I'm not crazy about paying full fare for business/first class seats, and much preferred to be upgraded or use miles for them.  Just as with you, my initial purpose was to get the bonus miles to round off my existing UA miles for premium seat upgrade.

I'm so pleasantly surprised with some of this card's benefits.  I'm kind of shocked at how some of this card's benefits surpass Amex's.  Even with the fee and modest spending, if you plan on using the new UA/Continental, this card is well worth the annual fee, in my estimation.  

Message 16 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had my UA Explorer card for about a month now and I love it. Got it for the rewards. I prefer airline miles to cashback since I want to get upgrades/first class flights every so often more than I want a free flight in coach. Aspirational awards since I could never afford or justify purchasing first class or an upgrade outright.

Not so much interested in the primary rental insurance since I mostly travel to larger cities where public transportation is an easier option but I am really curious about the price protection and trip delay insurance.

I have my benefit book as well but havent read it since I dont plan to travel for a while. I wonder if the price protection will apply to United flights? If you buy your ticket and the price goes down a few weeks later does that mean Chase will credit me the difference? If you try to do that from the airline it is considered a flight change and 150 change fee.

For trip delay insurance if your flight is cancelled due to weather you have to pay for your own hotel, although the airline can help you out with a hotel discount at least. With trip delay insurance would Chase cover the hotel room?

I don't have the card, so you should check your benefits book.  But my understanding was that the purchase protection is for purchases of items/merchandise, not services.  Also, I believe the card offers trip cancellation insurance, not trip delay insurance.  You have to have a verified illness or death in the family or something like that.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.