Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never open a Discover Student

tag
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Never open a Discover Student

Hi there,

I had opened a Discover More Student in late 2009 with a limited credit history at the time and was approved for a measly $500 CL. Since then I've used the card responsibly even maxed it out a few times and paid in full. Never received an auto CLI and the two times I regretfully let them pull a hard for a CLI it increased by $350 then $700 to a current $1600.

I received a couple letters in the mail lately stating that I may be eligible for a CLI if I update my graduation information so I did and even though I've graduated it still shows a graduation date on my account profile and I didn't get any CLI!

I get insulting BT offers (9.99% with a 5%, fee are you kidding me?) every now and then. I have a feeling the fact that this was/is a student card has something to do with the measly CL and the rediculous BT offers. I called and spoke to many CSRs including supervisors they swear it's not a student card anymore. I would not let them pull a hard again for another measly CLI knowing that something is holding the card back until I figure out what it is

If I were to apply for a new regular Discover More now with my FICO of 735 across the board and 3.5 years of clean credit and cards from major issuers with limits upwards of  $12000 I am sure I will get a much better limit with much better terms. However if I close it I don't think I wanna deal with Discover ever again.

I am thinking of closing this card because it seems like a hopeless case. Do you agree?

Appreciate your input

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Never open a Discover Student

I think pretty much that card servered its purpose for when you were a stdent and now your scores are pretty high its time to move on

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you have atleast 2 other cards with substantial limits, so I would ditch them.  Consider that it was useful in establishing credit, but it turned out to be something that wouldn't grow with you after you established good credit.  I did the same thing with Capitol One.

Discover has sent me many pre-approved offers, but I've never really considered them for a couple reasons.  The More card only has .25% cash back for the first $3,000 purchases most of the time, which seems really cheap to me and they seem to give out low limits compared to others.

Message 3 of 4
ferrari
Regular Contributor

I made the mistake of applying for too many credit cards when I was building. In retrospect on the one hand most inquiries will fall around the same time and my AAOA will be minimally affected with any new accounts I open because I opened so many around the same time, but on the other hand I got some small CLs cards some of it grew and some like this Discover was stagnant.

This is what my portfolio looks like now

AMEX Delta Gold $12000

AMEX PRG

CITI Forward $8000

CITI Simplicity $2500

Chase Slate $4000

BOA 3-2-1 $5000 or NPSL since it's a Visa Signature

Discover More $1600

local CU CC $6000

Amazon Store Card $3600

Dell $1500

Macy's $600

I had a Tier 2 Best Buy Card that I closed because it was not going to grow ($600 CL) and a closed CU CC and a FNBO CC.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.