cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New $5k Limit Credit Card - What to do Next?

tag
cbo941

New $5k Limit Credit Card - What to do Next?

I am currently rebuilding my credit so I was advised to get a $5,000 secured credit card from State Federal Credit Union, which I did and recevied within the last 2 weeks. However, I was wondering, what do I do next? Do I wait 30 days before using it or do I use it right away? 

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DomoNomo
Contributor

Re: New $5k Limit Credit Card - What to do Next?

Use it, don't go over your limit, pay in full when statement cuts (or prior if you're one of those who don't like a balance reported), never be late on payments, rinse and repeat.  In 6 months to a year, you should look into a non secured credit card that may even offer rewards and cash back.

Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DomoNomo wrote:

Use it, don't go over your limit, pay in full when statement cuts (or prior if you're one of those who don't like a balance reported), never be late on payments, rinse and repeat.  In 6 months to a year, you should look into a non secured credit card that may even offer rewards and cash back.

+1

Just use it responsibly, keep utilization in check and you should be fine. 

Message 3 of 7
cbo941

Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 7
blk8
Regular Contributor

Pay the bills you normally would pay monthly with it .... then PIF each month.

Just curious why you opened up with that credit union instead of a prime bank like BofA or Wells Fargo?

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 5 of 7
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@DomoNomo wrote:

+1 Smiley Surprised

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 7
cbo941

Thanks for the tips guys! Great stuff. I didn't go with BoA or Wells Fargo for a few reasons:

1) I have negative history with BoA (collections on old CC from back in college days)

2) I currently have a card with Wells Fargo

I was told to go with State Department Federal Credit Union by my advisor. So far so good. I will pay all my bills with my new card and PIF at end of month.

Thanks guys!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.