cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX AU, should I get BCE or sallie mae next?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: New AMEX AU, should I get BCE or sallie mae next?

@09Lexie wrote:

To clarify AUs and backdating; 

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

So you actually get kind of "punished" for your own card?  An AU that has been added in 2012 which had an MSD 2012 due to the AU card and applies for his own card in 2015 will now get an MSD 2015?   I guess Amex goes from one extreme to the other... Did they not even count the primary card holders MSD many years back?  I thought they would honor the MSD of the year the member became AU and got his AU card..of course not the primary card holder  MSD.

Message 11 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@lg8302ch wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

To clarify AUs and backdating; 

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

So you actually get kind of "punished" for your own card?  An AU that has been added in 2012 which had an MSD 2012 due to the AU card and applies for his own card in 2015 will now get an MSD 2015?   I guess Amex goes from one extreme to the other... Did they not even count the primary card holders MSD many years back?  I thought they would honor the MSD of the year the member became AU and got his AU card..of course not the primary card holder  MSD.

No, that's incorrect.  Once you have a MSD it is set- whether as an AU or a primary.  What is not set is the 'backdating' of AUs CRs.  In your scenario, the MSD will be 2012 and the CR will be 2015 (assuming they are added next year).  

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget this primary au business.

You get backdated to YOUR member since date.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I add an AU today and they get their own card in Jan 2015 , their credit report will count the TL as a 2015 TL ?
Message 14 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

New AMEX AU, should I get BCE or sallie mae next?

Run the numbers based on your spend to determine the answer.  If you don't want to bother with the math then refer to the charts that have been floating about and don't rule out the BCP.

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm wondering if I might be more likely to be approved for the BCE in March and then the SM some time in the summer (because the new amex will backdate to 2014).

We really can't tell you that.  Apply for the one that suits you best.

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Once again this is the source of confusion.. Lexie and others say differenty...  So who knows?

It's just a matter of not understanding the different potential situations.

As pointed out above AU's will not backdate to the MSD of the original cardmember.

However AU's are backdated (for cards where they are the original cardmember -- i.e. not an AU) to their own MSD which is set when they became an AU.  Example: My wife was not an AmEx member.  I added her as an AU in 2013 to my BCP.  She get her own BCP at the beginning of 2014 and it was backdated to her 2013 MSD.

Lexie's comment applies to this sort of situation: When I was added as an AU to my wife's BCP in 2014 it reported as opened in 2014.  My MSD is 1998.  As stated above my wife's MSD is 2013.  Neither MSD was used.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.