Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX Green

tag
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: New AMEX Green

@Anonymous wrote:

1 - First purchase - does or doesn't it matter, and if it does...what is a good first purchase?

2 - Usage - I've been told by a couple of people that it's a good "backup" card to just "put away"...but there are a lot of benefits to actually using it, and I'm not keen on the idea of paying $95 for a card I'm not going to use.  What is a reasonable & beneficial use pattern?  Do I use it for everything? only purchases over a certain amount? only for one big purchase a month? only for certain categories?

First purchase - I don't know if it matters but I act as if it does. By that I mean I wouldn't use it at a liquor store in a bad neighborhood for my first purchase.

Usage - amex wants you to use their cards a lot because they get a merchant fee everytime you do.  If you look at promotions in the last year, they want you to use it at the grocery store, for gas, at walmart, they want you to use it for everything.  So if you want amex to like you I would use it for your everyday expenses.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:
yes when paying for my computer repair guy, that is a cash payment. comes on my statement as paypal, just like all other charges.

Maybe the fact you have had the account for years is the key.  My brother had his less than 6 months.  And OP is new cardholder....so I would just be carefull in that area.

Message 12 of 21
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Wow!

I've heard of people creating paypal accounts and sending money to themselves via credit cards. It really does circumvent the system in many cases.

You're a fountain of knowledge txjohn!

Sorry your brother got caught up in the system.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Liz, CONGRATULATIONS on your Green card.

I love AMEX but would never pay them a dime in annual fees. Switch over to one of their fee-free cards before getting nailed for an AF in a year.

Good Luck,

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So...have charged about $147 so far on this card, & want to make a ~$300 purchase at Best Buy on Friday-ish...

Should I pay the balance off first, though it's mid-cycle, just to be safe?? 

Message 15 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

just call customer service and ask them to do a test charge for $400 and if it goes through your good to charge, otherwise you need to make payment mid cycle. asking this question might even get a rep to release the info on your charging ceiling currently!
Message 16 of 21
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So...have charged about $147 so far on this card, & want to make a ~$300 purchase at Best Buy on Friday-ish...

Should I pay the balance off first, though it's mid-cycle, just to be safe?? 

You normally can't make a payment on a new AMEX card until the first statement cuts.  You shouldn't have a problem making a $300 purchase, but you might want to call them and ask if there will be any problem (I doubt if there would be) just to make sure.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made an online payment on AMEX site prior to statement in my first month. 

But even if you couldn't, your Bank's BILLPAY overcomes this, and my experience is that most BillPays get to AMEX in just 1 business day.

Message 18 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You got lucky!

Most of us find that we can't make a payment on AmEx's site until the first statement posts, but we can make a payment from our own bank's online site and "push" it into AmEx.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, maybe the fact that AMEX requested I make a payment in order to avoid charging suspension changes that rule?  I got an email alert on my phone that said my balance was at a level that would require a payment prior to further use.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.