cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX/Old AMEX..NCO...Ccoincidence???

tag
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

New AMEX/Old AMEX..NCO...Ccoincidence???

I was approved for a Delta Sky Miles card just about 5 days ago.

Been reading on these posts about people with old AMEX's trying to backdate accts for the history.

In 1992 I had a AMEX Green that went to collection and over the ensuing years was written off and finally disappeared.

When I finally got interested in my credit last Sept. and pulled my Fico's it's listed on both EQ and TU as 'CLOSED BY CONSUMER'. It doesn't show anything bad and gives me a good history since my next oldest acct is 4 years old.

I always wondered what would happen if I could track that acct number down. Would AMEX have the info ? Would they just have an acct number ?

Anyway, out of the blue today I get a letter from NCO LOOKING TO SETTLE THE DEBT !!
I know the SOL is up and there is no way to collect but it sure does seem like a weird coincidence. I finally get approved again and some POS collection company purchases a debt from 16 yrs ago, probably from some other collector 3x over, and is trying to collect. I have another , CALVARY, that is after a Mobil Card from 1990. Won't give them the time of day. I just don't want to mess w/ my new AMEX.

Here's the funny part, they have the old acct number on the letter they sent.

I'm just going to ignore them , they can't collect, but it's that number that got me, I never in a million years could ever think of a way to get it. I really don't want it. It might be like poking a sleeping bear.

The original debt was just over 3k. Nco will 'settle' for 11k w/ interest. LOL.

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 05-21-2008 05:07 PM
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: New AMEX/Old AMEX..NCO...Ccoincidence???

If you REALLY want that old history, you can ask AmEx if they'd consider you for the Oasis program. Presumably they know about your green card, so you wouldn't wake anything up. But just in case they don't... and they found out about it because you called... mebbe not.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I really don't want that history that much. It's all bad, I was young and a drunk, never could handle my finances as well as life.

Just a weird coincidence. Maybe it was AMEX that got in touch w/ NCO. They can't come after the money now, SOL is wayyyyyyyyyy past.

What's OASIS ?

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 3 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Amex Oasis is a good way to get back into good terms with Amex. I have Oasis card too. NCO is not buying account from Amex. Amex never sells the accounts. NCO is working with Amex to facilitate this arrangement. I strongly suggest you take up their offer. Once you pay the balance in full they will give you new card with 1/2 the paid amount as limit. After 12 months you would become eligible for regular cards.
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jaxstraw wrote:
I really don't want that history that much. It's all bad, I was young and a drunk, never could handle my finances as well as life.

Just a weird coincidence. Maybe it was AMEX that got in touch w/ NCO. They can't come after the money now, SOL is wayyyyyyyyyy past.

What's OASIS ?

Jax

One fun thing that many members have discovered is that as their scores improve, zombie debt collectors come out of the woodwork.

You know how credit card companies buy lists of consumers with certain credit profiles, so that they can send their pre-approvals and all? Well, credit bureaus happily sell similar lists to collection agencies of those whose credit has been improving. Then the CA's can go nosing through, looking for something whether current or past SOL that they can frighten you with.

If someone's credit score has been getting up out of the icks and into decent score ranges, that implies that they care about their credit. If they don't know any better, they might pay for fear of having the old account report.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I understand your reasoning but I've already been approved for the Delta and it's already in the mail.

Why would they approve me for a card and not decline saying I had bad history with them ?

And I'm not questioning your statement but what makes you think (or know) that NCO is working w/ AMEX to facilitate this arrangement ?? Have you heard or know of this happening before ??

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 05-21-2008 05:42 PM
Jax

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaxstraw wrote:
I understand your reasoning but I've already been approved for the Delta and it's already in the mail.

Why would they approve me for a card and not decline saying I had bad history with them ?

And I'm not questioning your statement but what makes you think (or know) that NCO is working w/ AMEX to facilitate this arrangement ?? Have you heard or know of this happening before ??

Jax

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 05-21-2008 05:42 PM

NCO is well known for collecting on behalf of Amex.
Message 7 of 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Jax, be smart and don't even waste your time with NCO. Some company (forget the name) pulled the same number on me; however, they falsified the debt. I didn't even bother to call them or send any letters. I filed complaints against them immediately. Rather than have to go to court and spend a huge chunk of change to defend this fake debt, they happily responded to the complaint by saying they deleted the account information and they will never contact me again. Took all of 5 days to resolve.

Forget the Oasis program. Obviously, AMEX is not holding that 16-year old debt against you. You just got approved for the Delta Skymiles card.

By the way, Congrats!

Message Edited by Uniqua on 05-21-2008 06:23 PM
Message 8 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Thanks, it just got me wondering, I'll wait and see what happens.

Jax
Jax

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.