Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX and impressed

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: New AMEX and impressed

@Involver wrote:

The only issue I have had with AMEX is getting wildly varying information from different CSRs regarding the ability to request an EMV card.  

I had one rep tell me the EMV card comes without a magnetic strip (false), one rep told me I could request it 2 weeks after receiving the physical card (false), another rep putting in the request and then telling me I had to call card request special handling ... just kind of a run around.  

Using the actual card I have had no complaints.  Charges clear quickly and payments post fast.  Signed up for Amazon and plowed through my $1000 spend pretty quick so interested to see how fast the statement credits post. 

Mine posted about 48 hours after I met the $1K spend which was about 3 days after my first statement cut.  Hope this helps.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 11 of 24
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the Amex family. Amex is my favorite credit card company for many different reasons. I am a bit surprised you had never seen a Blue before, I think it's one the most common Amex cards. Enjoy your new card!

Message 12 of 24
mrlh1980
Contributor

American Express is the only company that does this. My Gold Premier charge card does it all the time. I can charge 6,500.00$ and it just approve without no issues as if it doesn't call in. American express doesn't answer to anyone (except Federal Reserve).

"Fools trade their SOULS for gold in an attempt to take control of things they can't control."
Message 13 of 24
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I have never had an issue with Amex approvals. They go through rapidly even for the largest transactions. I've done many 10k+, a few 20k+ and even a 50k+ without calling in or anything unusual.   Also, Costco purchase less than $200 don't even need to be signed. Swipe and go.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 14 of 24
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

Being a new account holder, there are a few things I've noticed that stand out and was wondering if others noticed it too upon using their first AMEX.  First, the speed is unbelievable.  It's like a receipt starts printing before I even swipe the card (lol not really but you get the drift).  In the past 33 days I've had it, I think 3 cashiers have made the comment "dang, that was fast".  Secondly, I don't have to sign receipts over $25 like most, if not all, of my other cards.  Lastly, I really like how as soon as you make a payment, they credit it to your account immediately even before the payment clears to free up your line if you need it.

Comments I've heard so far on the BCP are "is this a real credit card?" (lol), "wow, that is pretty, I've never seen a card like that", "I've never seen a clear credit card" and maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of.  So far, I'm a happy camper.  After reading several posts to tread lightly in your first month, I went against the grain.  I used it for everything and ran up charges quickly.  I hit half of my credit line in about 2.5 weeks and PIF before the first statement cut.  I have since added DW as AU, she has set up her AU account and we're now both using the card for everything we can.  We're both making payments from each of our checking accounts quite frequently, too.  I hope they like the usage and all stays in the clear.  So far, I'm VERY happy I applied for the card and look forward to years of enjoyment.  Maybe AMEX doesn't have quite the "prestige" factor they once had but in the world of CCC's today, they definitely still stand out!  Oh, and the $100 bonus (I didn't do Amazon Prime yet) and $40 reward dollars isn't too shabby, either.  

Anyone else have similiar experiences being new to AMEX?

Are you sure its not just varying amounts? Working as a cashier at a grocery store right now, our policy for all 4 networks is if its over $50.00, you have to sign, no matter if its AMEX, Discover, Visa, or Mastercard.

Also, is the BCE/BCP a clear card? I thought they were off white. Do you have to request them to be clear?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 15 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I really like my AmEx. Good rewards, great CS, nice website layout, comments on the card (ooh I like the maroon color!).

I like all of my cards because they have a purpose and they do it well, but AmEx has always been very good to me. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Being a new account holder, there are a few things I've noticed that stand out and was wondering if others noticed it too upon using their first AMEX.  First, the speed is unbelievable.  It's like a receipt starts printing before I even swipe the card (lol not really but you get the drift).  In the past 33 days I've had it, I think 3 cashiers have made the comment "dang, that was fast".  Secondly, I don't have to sign receipts over $25 like most, if not all, of my other cards.  Lastly, I really like how as soon as you make a payment, they credit it to your account immediately even before the payment clears to free up your line if you need it.

Comments I've heard so far on the BCP are "is this a real credit card?" (lol), "wow, that is pretty, I've never seen a card like that", "I've never seen a clear credit card" and maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of.  So far, I'm a happy camper.  After reading several posts to tread lightly in your first month, I went against the grain.  I used it for everything and ran up charges quickly.  I hit half of my credit line in about 2.5 weeks and PIF before the first statement cut.  I have since added DW as AU, she has set up her AU account and we're now both using the card for everything we can.  We're both making payments from each of our checking accounts quite frequently, too.  I hope they like the usage and all stays in the clear.  So far, I'm VERY happy I applied for the card and look forward to years of enjoyment.  Maybe AMEX doesn't have quite the "prestige" factor they once had but in the world of CCC's today, they definitely still stand out!  Oh, and the $100 bonus (I didn't do Amazon Prime yet) and $40 reward dollars isn't too shabby, either.  

Are you sure its not just varying amounts? Working as a cashier at a grocery store right now, our policy for all 4 networks is if its over $50.00, you have to sign, no matter if its AMEX, Discover, Visa, or Mastercard.

Also, is the BCE/BCP a clear card? I thought they were off white. Do you have to request them to be clear?

To me, it's like a frosted clear. It's definitely see through, especially around the edges. I do think there was one time I had to sign a receipt and it was like a 60 charge at Walgreens. 

Message 17 of 24
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

I really like my AmEx. Good rewards, great CS, nice website layout, comments on the card (ooh I like the maroon color!).

I like all of my cards because they have a purpose and they do it well, but AmEx has always been very good to me. Smiley Happy

I honestly think their website rivals Discover and that's saying alot.  

Message 18 of 24
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@14Fiesta wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

You could say it's a frosted clear or translucent at the top, but fades out to clear at the bottom.  The embossing is irridescent.   It's a pretty card.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 24
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@Craaaig wrote:

I really do appreciate the speed at which they process payments. It feels almost instant. Chase is the same but my checking account is through them so that's a given. Barclays takes for-EVER (1 whole frickin day before they even acknowledge that the payment has been recieved and then another day for it to process) and it's annoying but nothing major.

Based on my observations, AmEx is fast with processing payments and transactions. Unfortunately, they are not fast with posting the reward dollars (cash back).

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.