Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX cards reporting on TU

tag
coffeegal
Contributor

New AMEX cards reporting on TU

I searched for this question here in the forum but didn't come across clear answers, just lots of conflicting statements.

I opened a Green card and BCE last month.  I received my first statements over the weekend.  Yesterday, I had a balance alert for TU (nothing for EX or EQ yet).  As it turns out, AMEX is reporting both new accounts (though dated 1/2003 - YAY), but of course with balances because I haven't paid them yet.  Does AMEX always report before the billing cycle closes, or is this just because they are new accounts?  

I plan to PIF every month, but wasn't sure of the date this first time around.  I don't want to report a balance.  Thanks!

Starting Score: EQ 657 TU 627 EX 650 12/2014
Current Score: EQ 747 TU 748 EX 738 3/2017
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: New AMEX cards reporting on TU

Probably because they're new.  AmEx reports on statement date.

Message 2 of 8
IamB2
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1

Amex reports on the "Statement Closing Date"... Of course it takes a day or two for the alerts to be generated and the information populated accross all of the CRAs.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two accounts with AMEX  and they have always reported a few days after the statement is closed.  Not sure why they reported prior to for you.

Message 4 of 8
coffeegal
Contributor

S

@takeshi74 wrote:

So I should pay prior to the statement date each month to ensure reporting a zero balance, versus paying before the due date?  

Message 5 of 8
IamB2
Established Contributor

@coffeegal wrote:

So I should pay prior to the statement date each month to ensure reporting a zero balance, versus paying before the due date?  

Well, that depends on a couple of factors. If you carry a balance of any kind, you must pay at least the minimum payment by the due date. But if you pay the entire balance each time and report a $0 balance on the statement, then that assertion (pay by the statement close date) is accurate.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 6 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

@coffeegal wrote:

S

@takeshi74 wrote:

Yes, if you pay before closing date and get your balance to zero then that will get reported. If you PIF before due date then there will be no interests, but the balance at closing date get reported.

Message 7 of 8
coffeegal
Contributor

Thank you, thank you @newhis and IamB2!  Exactly the clarification I was looking for.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.