Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AU drags down AAoA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New AU drags down AAoA

Does being added as an AU to a couple cards look as if I've opened lots of credit recently and make me more of a risk to creditors? Is it counted the same as if I had opened the two new lines myself?

I ask because I'm a new AU on 3 accounts in the past couple months and wondering if I should take myself off. Would those AU accounts then sit on my report as closed accounts or be deleted from my reports?

Thanks for all the help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New AU drags down AAoA

@Anonymous wrote:

Does being added as an AU to a couple cards look as if I've opened lots of credit recently and make me more of a risk to creditors? Is it counted the same as if I had opened the two new lines myself?

I ask because I'm a new AU on 3 accounts in the past couple months and wondering if I should take myself off. Would those AU accounts then sit on my report as closed accounts or be deleted from my reports?

Thanks for all the help!

The AU accounts do count towards your overall utilization which is a fairly big component of your credit score.  So if those cards have high balances they could be hurting your credit score. On  the other side if balances are low they could be helping your score.  Additionally payment record on those accounts have be good or bad effects on your scores.

as to whether they make you more of a risk to creditors is impossible to tell without seeing your overall credit file, the types of accounts, credit limits, etc, etc.

If you remove yourself as an AU the accounts should be removed from your file but sometimes they are not at which point you would need to file a dispute with the CRAs to have the accounts removed. It's better to make sure the account holder removed you as an AU as well.

Message 2 of 4
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the help!

If the cards are Amex, then it will report as new TL, hurting your AAoA. If they are from other banks and are not new, then they will report as open the same date as the cardholder, so that will help your AAoA.

Some lenders count the AU more than others, I read that some even don't consider those cards to approve/deny own cards (I read Chase most of the time).

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on how the TL's appear on your reports and whether or not a given creditor and scoring model even consider accounts where you're an AU.  Not all do.

As stated above, whether or not a couple of cards looks like "lots of credit" depends on your credit.  If you have a thin profile then a fewer number of changes are likely to be considered a bigger risk than if you have a thick profile.  With just about anything credit related it's not just X that determines impact but one's credit as well.

@Anonymous wrote:

Review your reports to help you decide.  As stated above, being removed as an AU should remove the TL's from your reports but you may need to dispute if not removed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.