cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex Everyday will be available in April!!!!!

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

1. A lot of places do not accept them compared to visa and MC. They need to work on having more merchants available. 

2. FTFs. It really makes little to no sense as to why FTFs are being charged on travel cards, such as the SPG. I've been using my CSP on overseas SPG properties only because the FTF literally wipes out all of bonus rewards. All charge cards should also not have any FTFs.

Right, the FTF is a huge issue with AmEx cards with the Plat being the only one (now Delta) without forex fees.  Since I don't fly Delta, I still must have another card for spending abroad, unless it's purely business spending where I'll use our Firm's Amex Plat.

If the SPG were forex free, I'd shift int'l spending to it in a heartbeat.  Or, as you've suggested, their Charge cards should all have the no FTF feature given the fee structure.

Given the state of the rewards industry, I think the majority of my spend will be in the SPG and MR Programs with Chase receiving the bulk of foreign spending.  For domestic spending, it's really all SPG and MR for me.

So, 1.5% MR or 1% SPG?  What would you pick?

I probably will go with 1.5% MR, but I am not too sure yet. SPG points are good as well so this is a pretty tough choice! If they would just remove SPG FTF, then I probably will just focus more on SPG points so as to not dilute rewards pool.

I think a big catch with this Everyday card series is that Amex will not allow points transfer by having this card alone, especially with the free version. For those who wants to transfer points, they may be required to get a charge card, which means the total AF is going to be higher than what most people are hoping. Then again, a lot people redeem their MR points for "cheaper" options, such as GCs, making it cheaper rewards program for Amex as compared to cashback. There will be people who will transfer it to travel programs which cost more for Amex, but overall I think Amex will still come up ahead just from the rewards program itself.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 91 of 215
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

I may PC to this card. The 10k-15k sign up bonus is small to me, considering I would rather not have another hard pull

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 92 of 215
rlx01
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

1. A lot of places do not accept them compared to visa and MC. They need to work on having more merchants available. 

2. FTFs. It really makes little to no sense as to why FTFs are being charged on travel cards, such as the SPG. I've been using my CSP on overseas SPG properties only because the FTF literally wipes out all of bonus rewards. All charge cards should also not have any FTFs.

Right, the FTF is a huge issue with AmEx cards with the Plat being the only one (now Delta) without forex fees.  Since I don't fly Delta, I still must have another card for spending abroad, unless it's purely business spending where I'll use our Firm's Amex Plat.

If the SPG were forex free, I'd shift int'l spending to it in a heartbeat.  Or, as you've suggested, their Charge cards should all have the no FTF feature given the fee structure.

Given the state of the rewards industry, I think the majority of my spend will be in the SPG and MR Programs with Chase receiving the bulk of foreign spending.  For domestic spending, it's really all SPG and MR for me.

So, 1.5% MR or 1% SPG?  What would you pick?

I probably will go with 1.5% MR, but I am not too sure yet. SPG points are good as well so this is a pretty tough choice! If they would just remove SPG FTF, then I probably will just focus more on SPG points so as to not dilute rewards pool.

I think a big catch with this Everyday card series is that Amex will not allow points transfer by having this card alone, especially with the free version. For those who wants to transfer points, they may be required to get a charge card, which means the total AF is going to be higher than what most people are hoping. Then again, a lot people redeem their MR points for "cheaper" options, such as GCs, making it cheaper rewards program for Amex as compared to cashback. There will be people who will transfer it to travel programs which cost more for Amex, but overall I think Amex will still come up ahead just from the rewards program itself.

Why does this no transfer thing keep getting repeated? It's not true.

Message 93 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

If they made the SPG a non forex card, I'd use it exclusively, unless a Merchant didn't take Amex.  It's going to interesting to see if I'll opt for 1.5 MR or SPG.  This is really a tough choice to make.

Message 94 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I may PC to this card. The 10k-15k sign up bonus is small to me, considering I would rather not have another hard pull

I'd PC into it and ask if they'd consider a "courtesy adjustment" for the 15K MR points.  

Message 95 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

Because Amex allowing MR transfers to FFs for a no fee card would canibalize all of their fee paying Charge cards.  In other words, 90% cancel the annual fee charge cards, and just app for this card.

I could see full transfers to FFs with the $95 fee card, but not for the no annual fee one.

Message 96 of 215
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

When you say courtesy adjustment, that's basically me asking for the points even tho I'm technically not entitled to them ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 97 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
When you say courtesy adjustment, that's basically me asking for the points even tho I'm technically not entitled to them ???

Yes, asking AmEx to consider making an exception to give you the bonus points even though you're an existing member PC'ing and not a new app.

Message 98 of 215
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

The commerical for this new product is on tv(watching the OSCARS since i have nothing to do on the rainy sunday Smiley Sad

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 99 of 215
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:

Because Amex allowing MR transfers to FFs for a no fee card would canibalize all of their fee paying Charge cards.  In other words, 90% cancel the annual fee charge cards, and just app for this card.

I could see full transfers to FFs with the $95 fee card, but not for the no annual fee one.

From a press release posted on FT:  http://www.pymnts.com/news/businesswire-feed/2014/march/03/american-express-announces-new-no-annual-...

Talking specifically about the "no-fee Everyday card"

• Redeem points for a variety of rewards, including using them towards recent charges with Use Points for Charges*4, redeeming for gift cards or merchandise, using them towards purchases at Amazon.com and Ticketmaster and booking travel at amextravel.com, or transferring them for miles in the frequent flyer programs of 17 different airlines.

So that seems settled.  Of course, they could change the redemption rate for the card but they seem serious about full MR!

Message 100 of 215
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.