cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card?

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The first is a no fee, true Membership Rewards-earning card Amex Everyday.

This would make all the Charge cards obsolete, except for those who need the NPSL feature.

Bingo! Exactly what I was thinking.

I really do want to keep the NPSL and the AF seems worth it for now. If the benefits of the Platinum charge continue to erode AND are not updated soon I might change my mind. I just can't clear a slot in my 4 Amex card maximum for either one of these cards. 

In the end I am glad to see Amex doing something new, and this is clearly a response to the recent domination by Chase and it's credit card products like the Freedom and the CSP. Competition is wonderful. 

Message 101 of 215
CreditMENA
New Contributor

Ahhh...I still don't think this beats the CSP/Freedom combo...

Message 102 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex Everyday will be available in April!!!!!

@longtimelurker wrote:

From a press release posted on FT:  http://www.pymnts.com/news/businesswire-feed/2014/march/03/american-express-announces-new-no-annual-...

Talking specifically about the "no-fee Everyday card"

• Redeem points for a variety of rewards, including using them towards recent charges with Use Points for Charges*4, redeeming for gift cards or merchandise, using them towards purchases at Amazon.com and Ticketmaster and booking travel at amextravel.com, or transferring them for miles in the frequent flyer programs of 17 different airlines.

So that seems settled.  Of course, they could change the redemption rate for the card but they seem serious about full MR!

Assuming it transfers at the same value, this is a game changer!  It'll be the very first direct FF transfer rewards card of this kind without the annual fee.  

Message 103 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditMENA wrote:

Ahhh...I still don't think this beats the CSP/Freedom combo...

Nothing beasts the Freedom 5X and Amex has nothing that compares to a no FTF card in the range of the CSP.  Of course, the 5X Inks are the Kings of the General rewards cards.

I'd imagine most people who travel will have a combination of UR, MR and SPG.  There's really no need to pick "one" over another, since each has complimenting strengths. With that said, for non bonus spending, for those who value MR and UR equally, the new Amex Preferred offers a better value than the CSP or Freedom.

Message 104 of 215
HiLine
Blogger

This press release gives me hope of an actual full MR earning card Smiley Wink

http://about.americanexpress.com/news/pr/2014/no-fee-amex-everyday-credit-card.aspx

Earn Rewards Quickly, Use Rewards Easily with the Amex EveryDay Credit Card:

• Earn 2x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year on purchases (then 1x); and 1x points on all other purchases.(3)
  • Use the Card to make 20 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 20% extra points on all those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply.
  • A digital counter in the Amex Mobile app helps keep track of each qualifying purchase for the bonus, so Card Members always know when they're close to earning 20% extra Membership Rewards points.
  • Redeem points for a variety of rewards, including using them towards recent charges with Use Points for Charges(4), redeeming for gift cards or merchandise, using them towards purchases at Amazon.com and Ticketmaster and booking travel at amextravel.com, or transferring them for miles in the frequent flyer programs of 17 different airlines.
Message 105 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:
  • Redeem points for a variety of rewards, including using them towards recent charges with Use Points for Charges(4), redeeming for gift cards or merchandise, using them towards purchases at Amazon.com and Ticketmaster and booking travel at amextravel.com, or transferring them for miles in the frequent flyer programs of 17 different airlines.

My guess would be it'll transfer at a rate somehwere less than 1:1.  Now, if it is 1:1 with no annual fee, I'd say this would make it the best overall General Rewards card.

Message 106 of 215
firesword
Established Member

I just had a chat with Amex:

you: I want to know if it will earn MR Express points or regular MR points
Chris: It's a new card...
Chris: In this card you will earn Membership reward points...
Chris: There is no annual membership for this card
you: So, regular MR points? transferable to partner airlines ?
Chris: Absolutely yes!
Chris: You can transfer these points to your partner airlines

Message 107 of 215
Bill2265
Valued Member

Anybody know which CRA AMEX pulls?

Message 108 of 215
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Bill2265 wrote:

Anybody know which CRA AMEX pulls?

Primarily, EX but can pull multiple bureaus if app is borderline. 

Message 109 of 215
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

My guess would be it'll transfer at a rate somehwere less than 1:1.  Now, if it is 1:1 with no annual fee, I'd say this would make it the best overall General Rewards card.

But there isn't now a good reason to believe that it won't be 1:1,  as the original position was that there would be no transfer!

Message 110 of 215
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.