cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: New Amex Everyday will be available in April!!!!!

What to me is a little odd is by giving MRs these are sort of travel cards, but don't offer bonuses on travel segments (such as hotel, flights and dining).  Any idea if they have a FTF?

My guess is that Amex hopes they become sticky with the Mom buying the groceries (it's well known that men never do that, too busy sitting on the couch watching the game, drinking and farting) so even once the $6K cap is reached, the card will continue being used.   And, as others have said, many people will probably use the MR for gift-card type redemption, or pay with points, making the cost a lot less.

Still, for those that value and can use MR, this kills at least Blue and BCE.

Message 51 of 215
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card?

@cottoncrown wrote:
It drives me crazy how she is swiping the wrong side of the card in the ad.

Me too!!! What were they thinking?!  She does it so many times it seems like they had to have done it on purpose!

Message 52 of 215
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@cottoncrown

I did not pay attention till I saw your post. Now, it drives me crazy too how she is swiping the wrong side of the card!

Message 53 of 215
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@koalablue

I think you are right anout that: they had to have done it on purpose!

Message 54 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex Everyday will be available in April!!!!!

@CreditScholar wrote:

Given the overlap between these new cards (especially the preferred version) and the PRG, I wonder if Amex will eliminate the PRG in the future. They could shift the 3x on airfare to the platinum as their travel card, and then perhaps add a few additional benefits to compensate (as best they can) for the loss of AA and US lounges. The groceries and gas categories overlap too much, which makes me wonder why they'd keep both.

The new cards are credit cards as opposed to charge cards like the PRG, and some current cardholders push quite a bit through their PRG monthly, well beyond what normal CLs will often allow. Airfare is the only "unlimited category" in the current PRG lineup, meaning that how much one spends on airfare could be huge in any given month. However are caps on groceries and limits to how much gas one can realistically use (and drive) in a month. By shifting the airfare over to the platinum, Amex could still cater to those who have huge airfare bills since the platinum is a NPSL charge card. 

Thoughts?

For my personal spending, at this point, I have little or no use for the PRG.

My business airfare is always paid with our Bus Gold, while my personal travel is either with miles or a combination thereof which doesn't justifiy the PRG's $175 annual fee.  Given the recent state of the Plat, for my purposes, it isn't worth the $450 annual fee.  However, if they phased out the PRG and shifted the 3X Airfare to the Platinum along with its other assorted benefits, I may be compelled to carry the card.  At this point, with losing the lounges and Delta's shift to a more revenue based program, AmEx needs to rebrand and offer some new perks with the Plat, otherwise it'll just erode away into irrelevance, in my view.

Regarding the new cards, I'd opt for the Preferred over the PRG.  In my view, this card should cannibalize some of those with the PRG; and, assuming the no fee version confers full MR (and not MRE) status, the only reason to have a charge card would be for the NPSL.

Is the $95 fee worth it?  I have the Blue for Bus with no fee which already confers 1.3% on all non bonus spending; and, I'm not sure if paying a $95 fee is worth 1.5%.  However, given I've got so many MR Points (easily use them on SQ for my Asia flights), the bonus MR on groceries with the 50% bonus is more value to mean than 6% cash. I'll likely turn in my BCP for this Preferred one, but I'd imagine those new to MR or with very little MR points would still be better served with 6% cashback.

I'm with SceneryGuy, in that I've got an AmEx card for each purpose.  However, Enharu is correct that if I spend enough, 1.5% is better than the FidAmex's 2%.  For instance, if I charge all of my personal expenses (income, property, insurance, etc...) that I don't use my business cards for, this may be a compelling card with the 1.5%.  The conundrum would be 1.5% MR vs. 1% SPG?  

Wow, that's a tough one!

Message 55 of 215
fungoman
Regular Contributor

Open123...can you provide more insight to how MR compare to cash back value wise?
Message 56 of 215
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fungoman wrote:
Open123...can you provide more insight to how MR compare to cash back value wise?

These always depend on how you are able to redeem.  If you can use them for premium cabin international flights (and in the case of Avios for example, some short-haul domestic flights on AA) you can get valuations well in excess of 1c per point.  (One of the sites discussing the card values MR at 2c, but this greatly varies).   And once you do reward travel, you may have restricted availability, which is worse for a large family than for a signle or couple.   

But for those that can use them well, the value is much greater than the equivalent cash back (i.e. 1point >> 1% cash back)  For others, just an additional complication!

Message 57 of 215
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

Looks like my next future AMEX card. It's a nice compliment to either the Platinum or PRG.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 58 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@fungoman

Lurker explained it pretty well.

MR Rewards are potentially better than the same % cashback if redeemed for airfare, especially when combined with bonus transfers and premium int'l cabin flights.  For FF programs, aside from SPG, MR Rewards are quite flexible with more transfer partners than UR.

Let's the take the following scenario.  You have 35K Hawaiian Air miles (you saved or from the 35K sign up bonus), but need either (1) 40K for a round trip coach flight, or (2) 80K for a roundtrip first class flight.  If you had MR point, you can move 5K MR to round it up to redeem the coach round trip flight to Hawaii.  In this case, the 5K MR points are considerable more valuable than $50 cash.  Moreover, if there's a promo, you can move MR Points to the Airline for a 50% or 100% bonus.

MR Points can be used in the above example with any of their FF Partners.  The value will depend on a variety of factors; but, as with most things in life, if one is willing to understand and master the complexities, the return will be higher.  

For those who aren't willing or don't ever fly anywhere, then cashback is a much better option than MR Points, which should *NEVER* be redeemed for GCs, statement credits, or cash.

Message 59 of 215
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

I pretty sure they just did the swipe backwards so that "American Express" is oriented so that it can be read.

I will probably get this card in the fall as my next 0% card as I like to have one open at ally times for larger expenses/repairs. The points program looks good, but honestly I am turned off by the "transaction counter" on the mobile app. I would fin it very annoying. I probably do 100 or so transactions a month, most between 5-20 dollars and I really wouldn't like a transaction ticket staring me down every time I log in to cheek a balance. Maybe it can be turned off hich would be a nice feature.
Message 60 of 215
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.