Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex PRG ships with EMV Chip

tag
Kellan
Regular Contributor

New Amex PRG ships with EMV Chip

I know people are asking all the time about cards with EMV chips. I just opened my first account with Amex. It is a Amex Gold PRG card and it shipped with a EMV chip without my requesting one. 

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex PRG ships with EMV Chip

Been shipping with EMV for a while now Smiley Very Happy Congrats on the approval though.
Message 2 of 12
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Standard procedure for Amex now. All charge cards are being sent with EMV technology. Including the Centurion card

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I can confirm this as well. I didn't request mine, and didn't even know it was available for the PRG. Got the card two days ago, has the chip. I'm still awaiting the BCE card, but I'm told this is an option on that card. Maybe they'll just ship it with the chip anyway, since I've called to ask about it, but was told would have to request a replacement with the chip if I choose to do so. Was supposed to be already in process.

Message 4 of 12
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@Kellan wrote:

I know people are asking all the time about cards with EMV chips. I just opened my first account with Amex. It is a Amex Gold PRG card and it shipped with a EMV chip without my requesting one. 

Got mine a few weeks ago also, I wish it was chip and pin. I feel that chip and sig is really inferior, I could write another name on the reciept and the cashier would not bat an eye.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiousity. I thought the EMV Chip was going to be limited to, well, cards of the Europay, Mastercard, and Visa payment processing systems? Or was the chip just established by those three and are open to any payment processing system?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jarrodpd wrote:

@Kellan wrote:

Got mine a few weeks ago also, I wish it was chip and pin. I feel that chip and sig is really inferior, I could write another name on the reciept and the cashier would not bat an eye.

I always write "STOLEN" and when the cashier's do notice, they get a giggle out of it.

Message 7 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Kellan wrote:

congrats. yes my 2 amex cards both have emv. in fact i read article earlier today saying since home depot breach. all the companies are in a rush now to get the emv chip. however. i know most people don't know what emv means. i will break it down. so this is strange. Europay for E  Mastercard for M and Visa for V hence EMV . but what for AMEX. they still got the chip. even have it on my Delta Skymiles card..  just saying. congrats again. Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 12
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just out of curiousity. I thought the EMV Chip was going to be limited to, well, cards of the Europay, Mastercard, and Visa payment processing systems? Or was the chip just established by those three and are open to any payment processing system?

Keeping it proprietary doesn't always work.  See Sony Betamax for details.   Or imagine if Volvo kept 3 point seatbelts proprietary.   Yikes!   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!...Thanks For Sharing.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.