Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex upgrade button

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Amex upgrade button

Logged into DH's Amex account to pay bill and clicked on the Credit Card offers button.  He only has Green & BC It used to only list all the cards.... now it shows all the cards with a "Request Upgrade" button under the Plat, PRG & BCP. That's definitely new.  He's almost at 61 days...but barely got in with BC at $500 SL.  

Is it a good move to upgrade any at this point or will it likely get shot down?  And doesn't look like it comes with any bonus.   Clearly need to weigh benefits with AF, but think missing out on bonus is a no-go.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Amex upgrade button

@Anonymous wrote:

Logged into DH's Amex account to pay bill and clicked on the Credit Card offers button.  He only has Green & BC It used to only list all the cards.... now it shows all the cards with a "Request Upgrade" button under the Plat, PRG & BCP. That's definitely new.  He's almost at 61 days...but barely got in with BC at $500 SL.  

Is it a good move to upgrade any at this point or will it likely get shot down?  And doesn't look like it comes with any bonus.   Clearly need to weigh benefits with AF, but think missing out on bonus is a no-go.  Thoughts?

I have a banner (but no button as your DH) at the top of the page on my ZYNC card. They want me to upgrade to the PRG and I will qualify for a 15,000 upgrade bonus MR points. The AF is not waived for the first year. Nice try Amex, you will have to pry the ZYNC card out of my cold, dead hands. 

ps this banner on my Online Account Management screen is just their latest attempt: 10 mailers in the past 7 months and emails....

Unless your/his account is in default, the upgrade is pretty much approved. Missing out on a sign up/upgrade bonus is a mistake for most people. The only real benefit of upgrading an existing card and forgoing the sign up bonus is that you save on AAoA hits and inquiries. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both Blue Cash and Everyday cards and it gives me the option to upgrade the Everyday which I never use. Pushed the upgrade button and I got a message saying my accounts were not eligible for upgrades.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I read here on this site in other posts 13 months's is the amount of time you have to wait for an upgrade.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have both Blue Cash and Everyday cards and it gives me the option to upgrade the Everyday which I never use. Pushed the upgrade button and I got a message saying my accounts were not eligible for upgrades.

Oh, that's dirty, Dirtle 

Message 5 of 9
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

They will constantly offer you upgrades in hopes of you paying a higher AF.  Two things, first off upgrades will be less of a signup bonus then applying outright.  Secondly, you have to sit down and figure out if the extra expense of a higher AF will make sense for your spending.  Good luck.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 6 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@JustBPatient wrote:

They will constantly offer you upgrades in hopes of you paying a higher AF.  Two things, first off upgrades will be less of a signup bonus then applying outright.  Secondly, you have to sit down and figure out if the extra expense of a higher AF will make sense for your spending.  Good luck.

Upgrades can make sense if you have already gotten the bonus for the higher level card and you value the benefits/points at more than the AF. They can also make sense in a situation where you aren't able to make the spend to meet a regular signup offer (nor will be able to do so in the foreseeable future), but you could make the spend of an upgrade offer. Hence why I often check for upgrade offers to the business plat, since I don't want to spend 10k on a signup but would be willing to do 5k. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The current signup Bonuses on the Platinum is 60k points, PRG is 50k points and BCP 250 dollars.  If you aren't getting those I would not accept any "upgrade".   Also PRG has fee waived first year. So I would make sure you got 50k points and fee waived if you got an upgrade. 

Message 8 of 9
noobody
Established Contributor

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.