cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed (success)

Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed

COngratulations, nice bonus.

 

So trying to understand where this card fits.  Looks like it's a competitor to the Cap One Venture,  with two advantages: Can redeem for any statement credit (Venture is travel only I think) and if you redeem for travel you get an extra 10%, so like 2.2% for travel.  But really a cash-back rather than a travel card, right?

Message 11 of 32
Super Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


bs6054 wrote:

COngratulations, nice bonus.

 

So trying to understand where this card fits.  Looks like it's a competitor to the Cap One Venture,  with two advantages: Can redeem for any statement credit (Venture is travel only I think) and if you redeem for travel you get an extra 10%, so like 2.2% for travel.  But really a cash-back rather than a travel card, right?


No forex and 2X travel and dining for no annual fee.  

 

My understanding is like other Barclay statement credit cards (NFL), you can redeem points for statement credits on eligible charges above $25.  In my view, this is better than the Venture, except in non "dining/travel" categories abroad.

 

For 40K bonus, I think this is *best* Barclay offer currently.

Message 12 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed

Correct. From my understanding it's targeted at cap 1 venture and normal Chase sapphire for non-AF version and CSP for AF version. I've decided to push back my CSP app and this card with 10% bonus on travel spend is better than Venture. Plus I don't have to deal with 3xCR pulls for app or their stingy CLI. I do have to watch my future app sprees but I'm down to one hand the cards I want so I'm not worried about that either.


Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


Open123 wrote:

bs6054 wrote:

COngratulations, nice bonus.

 

So trying to understand where this card fits.  Looks like it's a competitor to the Cap One Venture,  with two advantages: Can redeem for any statement credit (Venture is travel only I think) and if you redeem for travel you get an extra 10%, so like 2.2% for travel.  But really a cash-back rather than a travel card, right?


No forex and 2X travel and dining for no annual fee.  

 

My understanding is like other Barclay statement credit cards (NFL), you can redeem points for statement credits on eligible charges above $25.  In my view, this is better than the Venture, except in non "dining/travel" categories abroad.

 

For 40K bonus, I think this is *best* Barclay offer currently.


There are two versions.  I think the one with 40K is the one with the AF, which is 2x on all purchases, thus more direct competition with Venture.  The no AF as you say is only 2 x travel and dining.

 

$90 AF looks a lot though, as it doesn't have the transfer features of the CSP.

Message 14 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed

Note. I got the AF version (waived first year). This is 2x miles on every dollar.


Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 32
Super Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


Duncanrr wrote:
Note. I got the AF version (waived first year). This is 2x miles on every dollar.

I see.  

 

Missed that!  Thought it was a targetted 40K offer for the no fee version.  Do you know if you can just downgrade to the non-fee version next year?

Message 16 of 32
Super Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


bs6054 wrote:

There are two versions.  I think the one with 40K is the one with the AF, which is 2x on all purchases, thus more direct competition with Venture.  The no AF as you say is only 2 x travel and dining.

 

$90 AF looks a lot though, as it doesn't have the transfer features of the CSP.


Agreed, wouldn't pay $90 for this over the CSP.  

Message 17 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed

Yes. It's a churnable card and you can downgrade after first year. This card will serve as a filler card for me until I get CSP. Then I'll decide which one to keep. Here are a couple good links. The first one looks at annual spend to see if you re better off with this or venture card http://milecards.com/5317/barclaycard-arrival-double-miles-review-worth-it-if-you-spend-1250-per-mon... the next one talks about it being churnable http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2012/12/28/barclaycard-arrival-world-mastercard/


Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 32
Valued Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


Open123 wrote:

bs6054 wrote:

There are two versions.  I think the one with 40K is the one with the AF, which is 2x on all purchases, thus more direct competition with Venture.  The no AF as you say is only 2 x travel and dining.

 

$90 AF looks a lot though, as it doesn't have the transfer features of the CSP.


Agreed, wouldn't pay $90 for this over the CSP.  


ANd it looks like after taking this for the first year for the bonus, my favorite card that I don't have (Priceline) is a reasonable competitor,  no 10% bonus and has a FTF, but no fee.

Message 19 of 32
Super Contributor

Re: New Barclay arrival offer - I just missed


Duncanrr wrote:
Yes. It's a churnable card and you can downgrade after first year. This card will serve as a filler card for me until I get CSP. Then I'll decide which one to keep. Here are a couple good links. The first one looks at annual spend to see if you re better off with this or venture card http://milecards.com/5317/barclaycard-arrival-double-miles-review-worth-it-if-you-spend-1250-per-mon... the next one talks about it being churnable http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2012/12/28/barclaycard-arrival-world-mastercard/

Thanks!

 

Good strategy to use this to bridge the gap to CSP, especially since Barclay is the only TU puller for most of us.  

Message 20 of 32