@09Lexie wrote:
@myjourney

Blame Snack! It's a cold, cold world out here! Lol

ROFLMAO as my friend would say 

Shaking my head

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 22 of 32
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Barclaycard Arrival Strategy

@SnackTrader wrote:
Thanks all!

I guess I will be leaving the Garden for the first time in 4+ months later this week. Lets hope the signup bonus sticks around that long because that is really the only reason to get this card. I will use the card for 12 months (maybe less) pocket the cash and then PC to the no AF card or another Barclays card if that's allowed. It sucks that I have to take an INQ and a new account, but $400 is a pretty nice chunk of cash and will help to force me to take a vacation. I haven't taken more than a day of leave at a time in almost a year!

Best of luck SnackTrader!  Let us know the outcome.

Message 23 of 32
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

If spending requirment is not a problem, you can apply for Barclays' NFL card. It's $400 bonus after $2500 spent. No AF. I was approved 5/2 or 5/3 and received the card yesterday 5/11.

O ya, I was instantly approved for $7000. My highest approval so far. My highest CL is $8500 on my BCE. I don't think you'll have any problems

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 24 of 32
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Congrats, SwiftTone!!! That's a great starting limit and I hope I can get something similar.

I think the Arrival has more benefit to me as a card within my wallet over the first year. Obviously after that it becomes nearly impossible to recoup the AF with my spending habits, but I will actively use the card during the first year. I can't say the same for the NFL card. So if I'm getting $400 either way, I'm going Arrival.

I am now very excited for Application Day. The new holiday I invented for the day I app for this card.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 25 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 26 of 32
LeadingMan
New Contributor

I'm in the exact same boat.

I app'd for the Arrival just to cover travel expenses this year and will use it as everyday spender for now instead of my QSO. It is my only World card to date so I would want to keep the status. I'm thinking of actually PCing to the Rewards card after the first year just for my utilities. This way I can earn 2 points/$1 for that category and it doesn't cannabalize or compete with my other rewards cards. Plus there's no AF. Hopefully I can also roll my points over so I don't lose any that I've earned. 

Arrival + WEMC 12.5K / AMEX BCE 12K / Cap1 Venture 10K / Discover IT 9.5K / CITI DP 9.1K / AMEX ED 6K / Freedom VS 6K / CSP 5K / IHG 5K

Message 27 of 32
w003ptr
Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

So I've been drooling over the signup bonus for the Arrival card with an AF for a few weeks. I've been very close to pulling the trigger multiple times and don't feel that I have much to worry about with approval. My biggest concern is finding a use for:
A) the rewards
B) the card and it's presence on my credit report
C) the annual fee

So with that in mind, here is my newest strategy:
Get the card. Get $400 bonus. Hold it until I'm ready to book a trip (with the potential for a trip in December or early January). In the meantime, use the card in place of my CapitalOne Cash Rewards, since I will be earning an extra 0.50% on non-Freedom/BCP/Forward purchases. However, I would likely stop trying to accumulate points with that card once I pay for that trip since I don't travel often. I would prefer the flexibility of cash rewards over travel rewards for the time being. Then, after the first year is up, I would PC to the no AF version and essentially sock drawer the card.

This still leaves me in a weird place on having an unnecessary line of credit on my report... I guess I just don't want to have an open or closed account that I never really needed reporting for the next 10+ years. It will cost my AAoA in the short term (I'm working hard to get it up to 5 years, but that looks unlikely given my credit card obsession) and will look odd in the mortgage process down the road. No offense to those out there with 35 revolving accounts, but I don't want to do that.

So what does everyone think? Good plan? Bad plan? Modcut

edit by webhopper

I'm doing the exact same thing.. I don't mind the extra TL as I'm not going to be looking for anything serious (car loan, mortgage, etc).  Also I'm going to try and PC it to the Sallie Mae card (which I was denied for).. which I think pretty much everyone can use in their wallet.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 28 of 32
burberryboy007
Valued Member

I don't know if anyone said this already but "no go" with the PC to the no-AF Arrival. The reps have already been briefed on how to handle that so you'll most likely have to cancel the card completely.

American Express Gold Card NPSL | NEFCU Platinum Visa 7.5k | Amazon Store Card 6.5k | Discover More 5.5k | American Express Delta Gold Skymiles 3k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 1.5k |
Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800

Message 29 of 32
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I've got 3 months to wear those reps down Smiley Wink

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.