Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BoA Card? Free $100/year

tag
wche
Regular Contributor

Re: New BoA Card? Free $100/year

It may not be the best rewards card out there, but if I am going to continue to leave my BOA card in the sock drawer, I might as well make up to $120/yr doing so haha

Message 11 of 20
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@wche wrote:

It may not be the best rewards card out there, but if I am going to continue to leave my BOA card in the sock drawer, I might as well make up to $120/yr doing so haha

+1
same thoughts here Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 20
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I am getting the itch to apply for this card...I really want it. I am just hesitant cuz i know my Experian score may be the lowest of all 3 due to a couple of paid collections i have there (51 utiliity from 2011) and (330 tuition from 2011). Maybe having a secured card with them that is almost a year old may help my chances on approval or recon.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 13 of 20
agent_bob
New Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NEW-BofA-Better-Balance-Rewards-CC/m-p/1918699

I like it & I already PC'ed my power rewards to this card. I should be getting it within 2-4 weeks as the CSR told me.

Hopefully the rewards don't change, but we shall see how it turns out!

how to cancel free trial of score watch
Chase Freedom Unlimited - $15,000 (5/16) | Discover IT - $9,800 (3/13) | Chase Freedom - $7,000 (12/12) | BofA 123 Cash - $7,500 (10/10)
Message 14 of 20
CreditAce
New Contributor

This card is definitely on my radar. I'm holding off for now since most of my inquiries on EX will drop off this year. It will also be interesting to see if the terms (as they stand) remain unchanged after this card has been on the market for a bit. I suspect it's too good to be true like the BCP when it was 6% uncapped.

Message 15 of 20
supersam101
Contributor

Is the rewards taxable does anyone know ?
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 16 of 20
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

I'm sure if anyone intrested has already checked the terms, but here they are copied from their site:  I highlighted the red

BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards™ Program Information. You will earn a $25 cash reward for each calendar quarter in which all of your monthly payments are received on or before the due date and are more than the minimum payment due. You must have a payment due in each of the monthly cycles of the calendar quarter to be eligible for the quarterly cash reward; a zero balance or a credit balance does not qualify. If the primary applicant for this card has at least one checking, savings or retirement account with Bank of America N.A., a Cash Management Account®, Merrill Edge® or any other account with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated or U.S. Trust, the card account will receive a customer bonus of $5 for each quarter you qualify, for a total of $30 per quarter.
Calendar quarters are January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December of each year. If you qualify, the cash reward will be issued within 30 days following the end of each quarter. Your cash rewards will be automatically issued in the form of a statement credit to your card account, unless you indicate otherwise. Receipt of a statement credit does not affect your responsibility to pay your minimum monthly payment. You may choose instead to have your cash rewards deposited directly into a Bank of America® checking account or savings account or a Merrill Lynch Cash Management Account®. To set up an automatic deposit into your eligible account,

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 17 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@supersam101 wrote:

Yes, you will be issued a 1099c.  

@Still, this reminds of me their "keep the change," which was a great program.  Just use the card for cup of coffee, pay the balance when due.  Easy $30 per quarter.  Much better than having to spend $600 @ 5% cashback for the $30.

Message 18 of 20
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@supersam101 wrote:

Credit card rewards/bonuses are never taxed because they are considered rebates.

Message 19 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@supersam101 wrote:

Credit card rewards/bonuses are never taxed because they are considered rebates.

All things being equal, this is true.

However, on their disclosures, "Since Quarterly Cash Rewards have a monetary value, you’re responsible for any tax responsibilities that may arise from receiving rewards.  Please consult your tax advisor for details."

There is a clearly defined "monetary" value of the rewards, which is from "paying" on time, not from a result of the spending.  For instance, if there is no balance (if you charge, then pay before it reports a balance), no reward is earned.  This denotes the reward is not a rebate from "spending" per se, but rather from act of timely payment.

B of A will issue a 1099c.  Whether or not a person pays, that's between him and his tax advisor.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.