Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CB card Recommendations

tag
RainaB13
New Contributor

New CB card Recommendations

I have Cap 1 Rewards & Quicksilver, Discover, Barclay Ring, Amex BCP & Chase Freedom; if I were to apply for a new CB card, what recommendations might forum members have?
Feb 16 is day 61 for requesting a 3x CLI on my Amex card. Reason I'm giving, in order to receive my bonus I must spend $3000 in the 1st 3 mos. In order to do this without going over 10% of my CL I need a CLI (presently It's $5000,10% per mo of which is only $500). How long after my CLI request should I wait to apply for a new card & what should it be?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: New CB card Recommendations

@RainaB13 wrote:
I have Cap 1 Rewards & Quicksilver, Discover, Barclay Ring, Amex BCP & Chase Freedom; if I were to apply for a new CB card, what recommendations might forum members have?
Feb 16 is day 61 for requesting a 3x CLI on my Amex card. Reason I'm giving, in order to receive my bonus I must spend $3000 in the 1st 3 mos. In order to do this without going over 10% of my CL I need a CLI (presently It's $5000,10% per mo of which is only $500). How long after my CLI request should I wait to apply for a new card & what should it be?

Hi there,

Question -- is there a reason why you should try to stay below 10% of your credit line with AmEx?  Reason I ask is because I'm also a new AmEx cardholder & just wondering if I'm missing something......is this something that helps your account somehow with AmEx in terms of getting better CLI's, etc. in the future?  I haven't had my cards for too long either, however, staying below 10% of the CL hasn't been my main focus -- I'm just trying to stay below the limit & plan to pay off the balance prior to the statement date.

And in regards to your question about other cash back cards, it looks like you've named many of the ones I would've thought of myself.  Another two I've just started looking into (& may consider myself down the line) are the US Bank Cash+ CC (seems to offer more flexibility/choices with the quarterly 5% catergories) and the Sallie Mae CC.  

Can't really advise as to how long you should wait since I'm still learning myself.  But, best of luck with whatever you decide as well as with your 61-day CLI!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 2 of 4
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you want to stay below 10% util there is another solution .... pay more frequently Smiley Happy ... A minimum spend requirement  should not be the reason to CLI or app for new cards Smiley Surprised...but maybe I did not understand it correctly.

Message 3 of 4
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@RainaB13 wrote:

Hello RainaB14!  

I'm not sure I understand your question.  If you are going for the 61day CLI, I wouldn't app anything that pulls EX or TU till after the 61 days.  But looking at your card lineup of CB cards, you've already got a good line up of them.  I think the only one I'd recommend at this point would be the USBank CASH+ card.  Though you can have more than 1 Barclays card, I think you would be pushing it to app a 3rd from them.  (Referring to the above posters recommendation of SM card).   The need to keep your spend under 10% on the Amex is unclear to me.  One need only let one card report 10% or less to maximize your FICO score- not limit your spend to 10% of each card you have.  As a matter of fact, by not using your Amex heavily then PIF, you may actually be deminishing your CLI chances.  Amex likes to see you use their cards.  If you have the means to charge it up and PIF each month, go ahead and use the heck out of it.  I wouldn't focus on letting it carry a 10% of CL balance every month.  Just my take on your situation.  Hope this answered your question. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.