cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CC accounts, HP'S and Amex 61 day 3x CLI?

tag
HailtotheVictors79
Contributor

New CC accounts, HP'S and Amex 61 day 3x CLI?

What are everyone's experiences with adding a new CC or a HP during your first 60 days and how it affected your Amex 3x CLI?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New CC accounts, HP'S and Amex 61 day 3x CLI?

Bad idea if you want the full 3x.  Why risk it?

Message 2 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@B335is wrote:

+1 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I got my 3X CLI after i Apped for the citi Thank you card, chase Freedom card and a CLI on my Amazon store card. I also Apped for the Amex Everyday card after I apped for the 3X CLI

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I got my 3X CLI after i Apped for the citi Thank you card, chase Freedom card and a CLI on my Amazon store card. I also Apped for the Amex Everyday card after I apped for the 3X CLI

A lot has to do how thick your credit file is. Credit is a journey not a race. For best chance in my opinion wait. Does it matter to me no. Just paying it forward as always YMMV

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 9
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

I want to add what is considered ok with AMEX for a 3xCLI with knowing what kind of overall utilization would be ok.. If I had 700-1000 in balances on 30,000 of credit limt. say 3-5% utilization at most. In prepping for my 3xCLI I have about 4000 in balances I will pay most of it down how much is ok to leave. I will only end up having a balance on 1 or 2 cards that month of CLI. Does AMEX differ between 1%util(300 balance) and 9util(2700 balance). This is highly YMMV since I have seen a few people mention high utilzartion and still getting amex 3xCLI

Message 6 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Just to add to what coldnmn said, there are so many factors involved in computing the risk factors involved when it comes to Amex 3x CLI you could go crazy thinking about it.  They've obviously been at this rodeo a LONG time. 

I think I may have added 2 accts and still got a (singular) 3x increase, but that was it, they've never granted me another increase ever.  I have an over active app finger and would gladly trade a few of those easy shopping cart trick cards for 2 generous Amex limits, but it's the bed I made and have to sleep in it.

If I could do it all over again, no I would not add new accts/hard pulls and would have controlled my utilization more closely so that I was in the best possible position to take full advantage of Amex's potential limits.

Message 7 of 9
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

AMEX was the first in a pretty major app spree, so I did add some accounts and still got the full 3xCLI. However YEMV so if the AMEX CLI is really important to you I would not chance it.

If it helps I had heavy use of both AMEX cards and PIF all my revolving accounts so they could see I was responsibly handling my credit.
Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@HailtotheVictors79 wrote:
What are everyone's experiences with adding a new CC or a HP during your first 60 days and how it affected your Amex 3x CLI?

Everyone's credit varies so you can't rely on the experiences of others to determine what your outcome will be.  I opened at least a couple of cards after I opened my BCP adn I got the full CLI that I requested.  Since I opened my TE I know I also opened accounts and while I didn't get the full CLI requested I did get 99% of the requested increase.  As always, YMMV.

@B335is wrote:

Good.bad all depends on whether or not one's credit supports it.  However, none of us can be certain if we'll get what we request so for best odds reduce the factors that negatively affect credit (derogs, HP's, reductions in AAoA from new accounts, high utilization and all the other standard stuff).

In my case the CLI wasn't a top priority and was just gravy.  Don't assume that everyone's situation, preferences and priorities are identical to your own.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.