Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CapOne rule

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New CapOne rule

I've seen on here there is a new rule you can't have more than one new Capital One card in last 6 months even with a pre-approval.

I got a BuyPower card three months ago and was wondering if anyone knew if that counted?  Was interested in the Venture I'm all of a sudden prequalifying for.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New CapOne rule

I can't offer any input since I just found out myself. I'm looking forward to reading the responses you get. Thanks for starting a thread.
Message 2 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I did hear of this rule recently, but I haven't seen examples yet of how it has derailed anyone's plans they had.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 20
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Since the buypower is a cobranded cap one card and isn't operated in any fashion similar to traditional cap one cards, I'd venture to guess that it doesn't count. One way to find out for sure is to apply, if you do, Good Luck.
Message 4 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen on here there is a new rule you can't have more than one new Capital One card in last 6 months even with a pre-approval.

I got a BuyPower card three months ago and was wondering if anyone knew if that counted?  Was interested in the Venture I'm all of a sudden prequalifying for.

I don't think there is such a rule.

But I personally haven't gotten any Capital One cards lately.

If you're prequalified for it, and want it, apply for it; it's a good card.

Then please report back as to whether this "1/6 rule" is a reality or, as I suspect, a myth.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on this thread... it sounds like it is a new rule.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Capital-One-Important-Data/td-p/4632609

But if you decided to apply - please report back your results. 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Based on this thread... it sounds like it is a new rule.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Capital-One-Important-Data/td-p/4632609

But if you decided to apply - please report back your results. 

There's no way that you can assume that a new rule exists because someone's friend told them that's what one CapOne CSR told them.  As we have seen over and over again, credit companies CSRs often give out erroneous information.  Certainly third hand information shouldn't be used as confirmation that some new rule exists.  Until it's shown by others that that is the case we all would be better off by holding off assuming that a new rule exists.

Message 7 of 20
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Well if you get denied and it's a no HP, as stated in that other thread, then there is nothing to lose. Why not call capital one directly and confirm?

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for a spark business card and got denied because I opened up a Quicksilver within 6 months. The CSR told me my credit report wasn't pulled and to apply in September.

I didn't want to wait until Sept so I applied and received a Chase Ink card instead.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for a spark business card and got denied because I opened up a Quicksilver within 6 months. The CSR told me my credit report wasn't pulled and to apply in September.

I didn't want to wait until Sept so I applied and received a Chase Ink card instead.

When did this happen?  You're better off with the Ink + so consider it a good outcome.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.