Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card Suggestion

tag
laboi_22
Established Contributor

New Card Suggestion

Hello everyone! Looking for suggestions for a card that would be slightly easier to obtain just to add to my available credit lines. I have 6 revolving accounts. 3 are GEMB store cards with low limits. 3 are major CC's but one is AMEX, the other a Chase with a low CL, and BofA but it's a signature card that doesn't report. I don't carry balances but my UTL is higher than I would like since my total open credit line only reports as $2200 when it should be 3,200. Any cards that are easier to get with 10 inquiries? No baddies just 6 months of revolving history and 10 inquiries. My EX is 709 FICO. TU is 680. What is a good card? I wouldn't use it at all just to have another line to decrease UTL. I don't want to worry about paying my BofA off before the statement cuts just to keep my UTL down. I like the extra days to make the payment. I always PIF. Is Barclays an easier choice?

Thanks,

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Card Suggestion

What are you scores, if you know? Discover has been the hot card on this forums for the better part of Sept. I just got approved with them $1,000.00 limit to start. I also took a leap of faith and apped for a Citi AA Visa gold that same night and got $5,000.00 limit. No annual fee the first year, but $50 after that but I will PC once the year is up. My scores in my sig aren't current. They are likely higher, but just below 700.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laboi_22 wrote:

Hello everyone! Looking for suggestions for a card that would be slightly easier to obtain just to add to my available credit lines. I have 6 revolving accounts. 3 are GEMB store cards with low limits. 3 are major CC's but one is AMEX, the other a Chase with a low CL, and BofA but it's a signature card that doesn't report. I don't carry balances but my UTL is higher than I would like since my total open credit line only reports as $2200 when it should be 3,200. Any cards that are easier to get with 10 inquiries? No baddies just 6 months of revolving history and 10 inquiries. My EX is 709 FICO. TU is 680. What is a good card? I wouldn't use it at all just to have another line to decrease UTL. I don't want to worry about paying my BofA off before the statement cuts just to keep my UTL down. I like the extra days to make the payment. I always PIF. Is Barclays an easier choice?

Thanks,

Check out whogavemecredit dot com Smiley Happy

You might be able to get the AMEX BCP/BCE or Chase Freedom especially because you already have accounts with them.

Message 3 of 14
ontop
Regular Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

Is Barclays an easier choice?

Thanks,

I got instant approved with Barclay Priceline rewards visa with 1.9k CL yesterday with 11 inquiries on EQ and 3 inquiries on TU -- while USAA flat denied me. They pulled TU on me and many people have said that's where they pull the most. So you might want to check the number of inquiries on your TU first. IMHO, seem easier than other creditors.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 4 of 14
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

Thanks,

You said you have 10 inquiries.  Which bureaus do those inquiries appear on?  If you don't have alot of recent on TU, say no more than 3 in last 6 months, and you want to app for Barclays, then you might have a good shot as they are mainly a TU puller.  However, if you're denied by the computer, definitely recon through the backdoor analyst, it very successful for a recon.  As another poster stated, Discover has been very hot as of late, and they will mainly always pull EQ/TU.  You may have a recon shot there if you're denied online.  I would find out where those inquiries are firstly.  But, IMO i would wait at least another  6 months before apping for anything more, as it looks like you have a thin file with only 6 months of revolving history.  That alone, may shoot down any chance for approvals until things age abit.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 14
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

Thanks,

Just curious here.

I've always thought sig cards had a CL of at least 5k, whether that reports or not.

It makes me nervous when someone who is concerned about utilization says he/she needs another card to keep utilization down, but doesn't want to pay existing cards before the statement cuts in order to keep utilization down...

Not trying to be argumentative here, but which is it?

Message 6 of 14
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear regarding the previous poster's comments so I'll elaborate a bit. I asked for suggestions for a new card to increase my available credit lines. I didn't however ask for advice on how to manage my finances. I need no help in that department. For the previous poster's information a BofA siggy card reports the credit limit as the highest balance. As explained in previous posts, I use this card as my "work"card. I work in sales and I'm expected to foot the bill for entertainment for my clients. I then have to wait to be paid back. That means I need the extra time until I get paid from my company. If my statement cuts on the 20th and I have till the next month to pay which is always the case, why would I rush and take money out of my pocket to pay when my reimbursement check is 2 weeks away? Not this guy. I make a lot of money 80-90K per year with commissions a base of 75K. I use my money to pay my own bills. The fact is I PIF each month. I carry no balances, but my UTL is high because of the Signature card. I just need to get CLI's on my current cards, which takes time, or add new accounts. Hence my question for suggestions. I don't abuse credit. I use it wisely. My FICO is stuck because of limited history (never needed a credit card before) have 1 mortage almost paid off and another mortgage in good standing didn't think I needed credit for anything else. My scores are good and I'VE NEVER been late on any bill ever!

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 7 of 14
missji
Regular Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear regarding the previous poster's comments so I'll elaborate a bit. I asked for suggestions for a new card to increase my available credit lines. I didn't however ask for advice on how to manage my finances. I need no help in that department. For the previous poster's information a BofA siggy card reports the credit limit as the highest balance. As explained in previous posts, I use this card as my "work"card. I work in sales and I'm expected to foot the bill for entertainment for my clients. I then have to wait to be paid back. That means I need the extra time until I get paid from my company. If my statement cuts on the 20th and I have till the next month to pay which is always the case, why would I rush and take money out of my pocket to pay when my reimbursement check is 2 weeks away? Not this guy. I make a lot of money 80-90K per year with commissions a base of 75K. I use my money to pay my own bills. The fact is I PIF each month. I carry no balances, but my UTL is high because of the Signature card. I just need to get CLI's on my current cards, which takes time, or add new accounts. Hence my question for suggestions. I don't abuse credit. I use it wisely. My FICO is stuck because of limited history (never needed a credit card before) have 1 mortage almost paid off and another mortgage in good standing didn't think I needed credit for anything else. My scores are good and I'VE NEVER been late on any bill ever!

This was a tad bit harsh.  Just saying...when you post in a public forum such as this you kind of open yourself up for comments that may not be exactly what you're looking for or giving advice that you might feel is unsolicited.

Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 14
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Maybe it was harsh, but again I really still don't get your point regarding public posts and unsolicited advice. Maybe I'm just from a different time, generation, culture, etc --but the way I see it, public posting or not, if I ask for a suggestion about a product, that really is all I need. I was raised to answer people's questions by providing the information requested ONLY. I happen to think that interjecting one's personal opinions that are not only unwarranted but unnecessary is rude. At least that's just how I feel. Sorry for being harsh, but I always find that there is always that "smart" one that feels he/she has to throw in "the two cents." Again down in Louisiana, that translated to RUDE; just saying...

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laboi_22 wrote:

Maybe it was harsh, but again I really still don't get your point regarding public posts and unsolicited advice. Maybe I'm just from a different time, generation, culture, etc --but the way I see it, public posting or not, if I ask for a suggestion about a product, that really is all I need. I was raised to answer people's questions by providing the information requested ONLY. I happen to think that interjecting one's personal opinions that are not only unwarranted but unnecessary is rude. At least that's just how I feel. Sorry for being harsh, but I always find that there is always that "smart" one that feels he/she has to throw in "the two cents." Again down in Louisiana, that translated to RUDE; just saying...

Just re-read the original post.  If you don't carry a balance, then your utl will be 0 whether your total CL is $1 or $1 billion.  No balance = 0 util. 

Also, you can't control what other people say on public forums especially when they are not rude or disrespectful.  I'm fairly new here but as far as I can tell, Uborrow-Upay is a very knowledgable and respected member.  He/she was just trying to help you figure out if you really need another card and possibly help save you a headache down the road. 

Also, the opinion was warranted.  You have 10 inquiries and are looking for more to keep your utl down instead of just paying your balances.  As you say, you make a lot of money and get reimbursed anyway.  Why not pay up front instead of waiting?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.