Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card

tag
padredelosninos

New Card

Hey guys,

So thanks to your help I now have the CSP with the 40,000 point bonus. I got a nice 10k limit. I figured I'd list my info so you knew what got me approved and I had another question to ask.

cap one: 500 8 years old

cap one: 750 6 years old

Bank of America: 100 9 years old

Bank of america: 2500 6 years old

Bank of America: 5000 2 years old

Chase: 7500 1.5 years old

GTE federal credit union: 11600: 1 year old

Chase: 10000: Brand new

Car Loan: 15000 paid off

Car Loan: 33000 1 year

Buying a house, so I had 14 inq. on my credit.

Income was 99500.

I was just wondering as my second question: I have a chase freedom right now, and I'm going to try to figure out the best way to earn miles/points, between that and the preferred, what should I do? You guys have had a great wealth of information, so I'm hoping you can help me here.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: New Card

@padredelosninos wrote:

Hey guys,

So thanks to your help I now have the CSP with the 40,000 point bonus. I got a nice 10k limit. I figured I'd list my info so you knew what got me approved and I had another question to ask.

Income was 99500.

I was just wondering as my second question: I have a chase freedom right now, and I'm going to try to figure out the best way to earn miles/points, between that and the preferred, what should I do? You guys have had a great wealth of information, so I'm hoping you can help me here.

I'm not extremely familiar with this but I know you get alot more points if you also have a Chase Checking account along with freedom/CSP. Someone else should be able to chime in on that.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@padredelosninos wrote:

Hey guys,

Income was 99500.

I'm not extremely familiar with this but I know you get alot more points if you also have a Chase Checking account along with freedom/CSP. Someone else should be able to chime in on that.

You do. Opening up any Chase checking account gives you an extra 10% annual bonus on all your Freedom points earned, effectively making it 1.1% on the 1% purchases and 5.5% on rotating categories. You can then transfer those points over to your CSP to use for a higher value of travel redemption, if you so choose! I highly recommend pushing everything through your Freedom that way, and using the CSP maybe for items you need the siggy benefits for, such as that new cell phone or laptop purchase (unless your Freedom is a Siggy as well, then EVERYTHING should go on the Freedom once you open a Chase checking!)...also, this quarter is 5x on restaurants, pushing the CSP to the wayside except for travel!

Message 3 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@padredelosninos wrote:

Hey guys,

cap one: 500 8 years old  Call EO and ask for a CLI

cap one: 750 6 years old  Call EO and ask for a CLI

Bank of America: 100 9 years old  Call and ask for a CLI, or transfer the limit from your 2 yr old card and close this one

Income was 99500.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 8
padredelosninos

Problem with the boa is I don't want to lose the aaoa, first. Second, I don't use the cards from cap one except to put a pack of gum on, so they're not an issue. I'm really more concerned about how to use the points from both cards to get what I'm looking for. I do like to travel, but I like the cash back also, what is the best way to combine them? I have read others on here doing to their benefit. 

Message 5 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@padredelosninos wrote:

Problem with the boa is I don't want to lose the aaoa, first. Second, I don't use the cards from cap one except to put a pack of gum on, so they're not an issue. I'm really more concerned about how to use the points from both cards to get what I'm looking for. I do like to travel, but I like the cash back also, what is the best way to combine them? I have read others on here doing to their benefit. 

Cash back regardless will be 1 point to 1 dollar...so to maximize this would be the same way for travel bennies. Open a Chase checking account, be able to get 5.5% and 1.1% on Freedom, and when restaurant or travel isn't available on Freedom, use CSP for 2x. Also be sure to use the Chase UR portal for extra cash back on certain online retailers!

Travel would be a better run for your money, but I completely understand if you're not travelling very often to use it. The only difference is you get an extra 20% value on your points when booking through Chase UR, effectively making $400 worth of cash back $500 toward travel. Keep in mind though to make sure that if you decide to redeem for travel, make sure to transfer your points from the Freedom onto the CSP before proceeding!

Message 6 of 8
padredelosninos

How do I transfer them? I think I have another 30k on the freedom card.

Message 7 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

You do. Opening up any Chase checking account gives you an extra 10% annual bonus on all your Freedom points earned, effectively making it 1.1% on the 1% purchases and 5.5% on rotating categories. You can then transfer those points over to your CSP to use for a higher value of travel redemption, if you so choose! I highly recommend pushing everything through your Freedom that way, and using the CSP maybe for items you need the siggy benefits for, such as that new cell phone or laptop purchase (unless your Freedom is a Siggy as well, then EVERYTHING should go on the Freedom once you open a Chase checking!)...also, this quarter is 5x on restaurants, pushing the CSP to the wayside except for travel!

This is good advice if you want only  travel benefits (which indeed maximizes the value of the card). 

If, as you later state, cash back is also your interest, there is no point in using Freedom on purchases where you have  cards that give more.  So if you have a card that gives 5% on category X, and Freedom doesn't, 5% beats the 1.1%, so use the other card on category X purchases!  Travel makes it much more complex, as for some uses 1.1UR points might be worth more than 5 cents

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.