Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Cedit Card Help

tag
seat3a
Contributor

New Cedit Card Help

I am grateful to this board as it has helped me understand a lot about credit. I would like to apply for a new card but have been SO careful with my credit and I am a  little app shy...LOL! I built my credit through HSBC starting with 3 cards; orchard bank  $300 CL, $0 bal, Direct Rewards $420 CL, $0 bal, Direct rewards $500 CL, $0 bal. I have a relationship with Chase so last November I did an app for the CSP and got a $5,000 CL ($809 bal). I was so excited that they gave me this high limit (considering the other limits on the now Cap One cards). I have 3 inq on EQ. One is Chase from 11/11, Discover Financial Services from 10/10, and two utilities.

Are the HP utilities counted as much as inq like Chase? Also, should I ask for a Chase CLI and hopefully have a  higher CL showing which might prompt, say  Citi to give me above a $5,000 limit ir does it matter? Goal is rewards and $15k to $20k in credit. AAoA average 4 years. Income $88k Thanks so much!!!

EQ FICO: 767 Credit XpertL EQ 767, TU 769, EX 789

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Cedit Card Help

@seat3a wrote:

I am grateful to this board as it has helped me understand a lot about credit. I would like to apply for a new card but have been SO careful with my credit and I am a  little app shy...LOL! I built my credit through HSBC starting with 3 cards; orchard bank  $300 CL, $0 bal, Direct Rewards $420 CL, $0 bal, Direct rewards $500 CL, $0 bal. I have a relationship with Chase so last November I did an app for the CSP and got a $5,000 CL ($809 bal). I was so excited that they gave me this high limit (considering the other limits on the now Cap One cards). I have 3 inq on EQ. One is Chase from 11/11, Discover Financial Services from 10/10, and two utilities.

Are the HP utilities counted as much as inq like Chase? Also, should I ask for a Chase CLI and hopefully have a  higher CL showing which might prompt, say  Citi to give me above a $5,000 limit ir does it matter? Goal is rewards and $15k to $20k in credit. AAoA average 4 years. Income $88k Thanks so much!!!

An Inq is an Inq.  But they are about to lose their affect.  Inquiries stay on your CR for 2 years but only affect your FICO for 1 year.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@seat3a wrote:

Are the HP utilities counted as much as inq like Chase? They count as INQ's and may cause a denial through a computer decision when you app online but can be recon'd with a human as they are not credit INQ's. Also, should I ask for a Chase CLI How long has the CSP been open?? I'd probably wait for the yearmark then ask for CLI. and hopefully have a  higher CL showing which might prompt, say  Citi to give me above a $5,000 limit ir does it matter? Goal is rewards and $15k to $20k in credit. AAoA average 4 years. Income $88k Thanks so much!!!

If your looking for a new card i'd try AMEX or Discover. BCP is a good choice.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 27
seat3a
Contributor

Thanks so much for the help! CSP will reach the one year mark this November. Also, I am afraid to app Amex as in the 80;s I had a card and defaulted on it because of job loss, but not sure if I was just an authorized user. Don't need anoth HP!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Message 4 of 27
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Dude!!!!!

With your current scores and history you can get ANY card you want!

AMEX's memory is not that long.

With your scores, inquiries are not that important. Quit obsessing over them.

You really should consider going on an app sree to pick-up 3 more cards. You should make sure they are from the following PRIME banks:

AMEX

Chase

CitiBank

Bank of America

Discover

Wells Fargo

Barclays

With your scores, history and income you should easily be approved from these prime banks.

Go for it!

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 5 of 27
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

if you go on a spree with those prime banks do a little research and try to strive for 1 app per credit bureau. TU- Barclays, Ex- Amex etc.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 27
seat3a
Contributor

Re: New Credit Card Help

Thanks for the reply! I am in FL but have been having a lot of difficulty determining who pulls from which bureau. I went on Who Gave Me Credit but it seems to vary. Again, any help is appreciated.

Message 7 of 27
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Like I said before, I don't think inquiries will be a problem.

Why don't you try and apping for a AMEX Blue Cash Everyday or Blue Cash Preferred and stop back and tell us how it went.

The BCE is no AF the BCP has a AF.

You wanted an AMEX right?

Why don't you go get one and stop back and we can discuss the next card!

You can do it! Quit obsessing about it!

Good luck!

(AMEX will pull EX)

Message 8 of 27
seat3a
Contributor

I went on the Amex site and filled out the pre-selected offers and the site says  

We are unable to find any pre-selected offers for you at this time due to any of the following reasons:

• - Your offer(s) may have expired.
  • - We are unable to find an offer based on the information you provided to us.
  • - Our site may be experiencing technical difficulty.

However, we have other great offers designed to meet your needs. See them below and apply now.
If you are an existing Cardmember, click this link to access your exclusive offers.

I don't understand this so I don't know what to do. Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 27
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You were on the wrong page!

You applied  to see if you were pre-approved for any of their cards. Don't worry about that. I did the same thing you did and received the same info you did.

I then went to the actual application page and applied for the Zync and was approved. (Of course my credit is in much worse shape than yours.)

You need to go here:  https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/compare

Find the card you want to apply for and hit the "APPLY NOW" button for that card.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.