cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Cell Phone Insurance for NFCU Cards!

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: New Cell Phone Insurance for NFCU Cards!

Actually saw it last night right where Scupra said it wasSmiley Wink
Message 31 of 46
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I found the fine print:

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/creditcards/NFCU_829.pdf

I am not impressed. I guess it's better than nothing, especially if you don't have a card with a better earn rate on cell phone bills.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 32 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

My offers are currently unavailable (?) but I was able to find the .pdf with the MasterCard details:

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/creditcards/NFCU_828.pdf

Edited to add:  I'm not sure if this is a 'standard' exclusion for most cards, but for me this is a biggie:

• Replacement Cellular Wireless Telephone(s) purchased from other than a cellular service provider’s retail or internet store; or taxes, delivery, or transportation charges or any fees associated with the service provided

I've bought my last three phones from Amazon, so I guess I would be out of luck in any case. 

Message 33 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

On closer look it may be that only the replacement phone has to be purchased directly from a carrier (not the original one that is damaged?) but I don't like that ambiguity. 

Message 34 of 46
trant3
Established Contributor

Interesting, the MastardCard version of the benefit offers $600/claim

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 35 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm excited about this. I recently canceled four $12/month insurance policies. I was able to justify it because the plan is really only worth $500 after the deductible. After 10 months of $48/month in insurance, we would have saved money about equal to the cost of the benefit should we need to replace a phone.

Message 36 of 46
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@trant3 wrote:

Interesting, the MastardCard version of the benefit offers $600/claim

That is interesting. I wonder if I should have my Visa switched to a Mastercard. Navy allows this, right? Would the account retain its history if I switched?

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 37 of 46
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Sun kissed. Same thought I'm having.. I might PC my Gorewards to MC
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 38 of 46
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
Sun kissed. Same thought I'm having.. I might PC my Gorewards to MC

I just got off the phone with NavyFed. I have the two cards that can only be issued as Visa – Cashrewards and Flagship. I would have to convert one of the to any other type of NFCU credit card to change it to a Mastercard. I haven’t decided how I’d like to proceed, so I left everything unchanged for the moment.

Off topic: while I had the rep on the phone I had her check for APR reductions. (I don’t ask often enough and fed rate hikes have pushed them upwards). Flagship moved from 15.49% to 10.99% Cashrewards from 14.65% to 11.65% Woohoo!

Message 39 of 46
Appleman
Valued Contributor

The fine print has given me second thoughts.

You need to provide the original receipt for the phone or other proof at the discredtion of the administrator.

You need to provide a copy of the police report if the phone is stolen.

You need to provide a copy of the claim submitted to your homeowners insurance (the insurance is listed as a secondary insurance).

BTW, you can send a secure message from you on-line account and they will gladly send you a copy of the coverage (linked in other posts).

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.