Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chase Cards Closing Dates - Confusion

tag
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

New Chase Cards Closing Dates - Confusion

I just got two cards (CSP and Explorer) on Monday (2/10/14). I'm trying to meet both minimum spends before the first statement closes so i'm keeping track of spend closely.

Every time I check the website (about 3-4 times/day since Monday), the "Next closing date" changes!  Here are the different dates it has listed thus far since Monday:

2/11/14

2/16/14

3/2/14

3/15/14

2/27/14

2/26/14

3/2/14

etc., you get the point.

This is happening to both cards. When will I know the EXACT closing date? I understand closing dates fluctuate about 1-2 days every month, and maybe 3-4 days during February, but it's not supposed to change that dramatically! 

ETA: So I'm testing a few things out. EVERYTIME I log back out and log back in, the "Next Closing date" changes. Just now it went from 2/17 to 3/15. LoL. I guess it is always like this for new Chase cards?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: New Chase Cards Closing Dates - Confusion

Same thing happened to me when my card came in December.  What was listed as the next closing date was static but it was way off, and it ended up being nearly 9 days earlier.  As a result I had higher util than I would've wanted as I was running spend through it as well and was planning to PIF by that date.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it would've been nice to know.

Message 2 of 13
RnJ
Contributor

Send them a secure message asking for the correct closing date (make sure your due date is already known).  Once the correct date posts on your account, it should be pretty consistent month to month.

Message 3 of 13
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

I just got two cards (CSP and Explorer) on Monday (2/10/14). I'm trying to meet both minimum spends before the first statement closes so i'm keeping track of spend closely.

Every time I check the website (about 3-4 times/day since Monday), the "Next closing date" changes!  Here are the different dates it has listed thus far since Monday:

2/11/14

2/16/14

3/2/14

3/15/14

2/27/14

2/26/14

3/2/14

etc., you get the point.

This is happening to both cards. When will I know the EXACT closing date? I understand closing dates fluctuate about 1-2 days every month, and maybe 3-4 days during February, but it's not supposed to change that dramatically! 

ETA: So I'm testing a few things out. EVERYTIME I log back out and log back in, the "Next Closing date" changes. Just now it went from 2/17 to 3/15. LoL. I guess it is always like this for new Chase cards?

I had this same issue with BTs posting on Slate.

I don't remember if the first statement cut on the first date indicated. But I do know it cut several days before the last date the website indicated.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 4 of 13
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

thanks, all. Good to know i'm not going crazy. Ill just call them/SM.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can self-select your statement cutoff date too. As to BTs, Chase has always held my for 10 to 14 days before processing and I have no idea why?!

Message 6 of 13
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

May be off topic but ......what are the minimum spends for these two card mentioned by the OP .....didn't know any CC have minimum spend requirements

Message 7 of 13
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

May be off topic but ......what are the minimum spends for these two card mentioned by the OP .....didn't know any CC have minimum spend requirements

They are minimum spends for bonus points.

CSP = Spend $3000 within the first 3 months for 40,000 UR pts

Explorer = Spend $2000 within the first 3 months for 50,000 UA miles (Targeted offer).

Message 8 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

The minimum spends on certain reward cards are to earn the rewards.  For instance, a new card might come with an offer of, "spend $1000 in 3 months and earn 40,000 points."  You need to spend that by the time requirement to earn whatever reward they are offering.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 13
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

I called them and they let me choose the closing dates for both cards. At least now I know! thanks!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.