Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chase Recon Policy?

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: New Chase Recon Policy?

I'm glad I got all the Chase I wanted when I did!!

Message 61 of 82
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Overall was 3%. That consisted of one card at $858/$4000 with the rest reporting zero.

Hmm, that's low. But maybe they have a trigger of 2% or under. Doesn't seem so likely though since they approved you and you're using very little of your available credit. Well, we always try to analyze their decision making, but I doubt even the recon reps ever share the full account approval algorithms, if they even actually know.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 62 of 82
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

They are bound to loosen up..  Especially for co-branded cards as one would think they would get backlash form whether it is Hyatt/Marriott/IHG/AARP/etc..   Something is going on, what it will take more time to figure out or a UW will have to be nice enough to shed some light.  These companies can simply go to Barclay's or another CC issuers if this keeps up and appears to be the new normal..  Weird this is they advertise on this forumSmiley Happy..  If they don't want people like us to apply for their cards, then why advertise the IHG, etc here ?

Message 63 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bman70 wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

Overall was 3%. That consisted of one card at $858/$4000 with the rest reporting zero.

Hmm, that's low. But maybe they have a trigger of 2% or under. Doesn't seem so likely though since they approved you and you're using very little of your available credit. Well, we always try to analyze their decision making, but I doubt even the recon reps ever share the full account approval algorithms, if they even actually know.

When I reconned the analyst even mentioned how little I spend. She brought up my Discover card that had, (which was reporting a $6250 limit at the time), a current balance of 0 and a high balance of $69 reporting.

Message 64 of 82
red259
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

I'm glad I got all the Chase I wanted when I did!!

While I still had one other card I really wanted I am glad I have the four chase cards that I do and I am really glad that I only downgraded the CSP to CS instead of outright cancelling it. At least this way if I needed to upgrade back to the CSP I could easily do so without reapping and risking a denial. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 65 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

IDK, Chase has always picked a reason to highlight, when in fact the entire profile goes into the decision. 2 years seems like a long time frame for them to go back. It seems like one of those rules that is enforced if you have a certain profile, but let slide if you're above a certain score. They don't necessarily share that though.

But we're bound to have someone on the forum who got a Freedom in the last few days, and has more than 5 accounts. Come on, Freedom has always been the app spree favorite. :-D

I have 4 new accounts in the past year, and have been eyeing that Freedom $200. Discover hasn't reported yet (approved on Monday), so that makes 3 new accounts. Smiley Wink Maybe I should apply before it reports. 

See my post earlier in the thread,

Are you sure all 7 of your accounts were reporting at the time of application? 

Yes, all were reporting. One from April, 2014, one from August 2014, three from January 2015, and two from April, 2015.

Does your signature show all your open credit cards? If so, then I wonder if they are only using this too many accounts in last 2 years if you also happen to have more than X number of accounts. I'm guessing everyone reporting denials on other forums has a pretty large number of credit cards and most of the people here have a large number as well.

ZeroViBritannia, do you have 9 accounts exactly or are there some store cards you might not be including in your signature?

9 accounts, 6 reporting (5 in the past 2 years)

Message 66 of 82
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

They are bound to loosen up..  Especially for co-branded cards as one would think they would get backlash form whether it is Hyatt/Marriott/IHG/AARP/etc..   Something is going on, what it will take more time to figure out or a UW will have to be nice enough to shed some light.  These companies can simply go to Barclay's or another CC issuers if this keeps up and appears to be the new normal..  Weird this is they advertise on this forumSmiley Happy..  If they don't want people like us to apply for their cards, then why advertise the IHG, etc here ?

Well of course they want people to app. The difference is that they do not want people to app in an overkill way. Exceeding what they feel is a "normal" number of new accounts in x amount of time is risk, period. They're still a business and exist to make money. Therefore, risk has to always be factored in. Someone obtaining let's say 5 cards with them in under a year is probably raising a red flag, for example.

The point is yes they want apps but they do not want excessive apps. I think that is the point behind the tightening up. They will only get backlash from Hyatt etc if the tightening up was super excessive. But let's be honest -- although not all, some people who are "into credit" like us simply obtain these cards for bonuses and then close them. Hardly the kind of customer they care about retaining. It's also part of the reason, in my view, that they have to tighten up: churning. Restricting a number of new accounts or making it harder to get approval will cut down on it.

Message 67 of 82
Maddog_
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Yup, sounds about right. I got 20+ new TLs in 2015, including Marriott & IHG. I got Slate, Amazon, Southwest in late 2014. Total CL with Chase is almost $50K.

When I app'd for Freedom last month, I got the "too many new accounts" as a reason for denial. I offered to reduce my overall Chase CL down by $5K (reduce my IHG from $12K to $2K and get Freedom for $5K for a net reduction of $5K), and the response I got on 3 separate recon attempts were all the same: there is nothing they can do to overturn an app that was denied for too many new accounts opened. I love Chase, and I didn't want to risk AA, so I didn't pursue any further.

I'm a bit confused as I read other posts that said the five accounts in two years were five new chase accounts not accounts in general. Do we have people who are getting approved for chase cards with more than five new accounts in the past two years, but less than five of those cards were chase cards? Also, is anyone going for the chase ink plus and getting denied for the same reason or are business cards counted seperately? 

That specific denial reason is being given for all UR earning cards only, and the five count applies to all cards including non-Chase cards. I read reports of CSRs confiming that during recon attempts. It sounds like they are making it harder to even apply as a business, so there are some denials based on that instead of the "too many accounts in 2 years" policy.

If true it is remarkably short-sighted of Chase and will result in a loss of business customers as a result. It is not unlikely that many people who run small businesses would have five new accounts over the course of two years. Three personal cards and two business cards. Say those accounts are a year and a half old. Under this policy chase would deny a customer a business card. It just seems ridiculous to have such an arbitrary standard. It doesn't sound right. I could understand if someone had five new chase accounts within two years, but five new accounts in general that makes no sense in my mind. 

It's theoretically possible they've sucessfully put together a profile that distinguishes between churners and "normals" with reasonable accuracy. Maybe it only displays that impossible to overturn rejection when all conditions are met. Otherwise, their new accounts would plummet as you said for both business and personal customers.

I find it unlikely that things will stay as they are for very long. I think they'll ultimately settle on a more reasonable threshold like 5 accounts in a year if they don't go back to the status quo completely.

+1

Message 68 of 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tagged to follow data points. Only want Chase cobranded cards, but I do have well over 5 accounts opened in the last 2 years. Want to see if more info available on cobranded data points. 

Message 69 of 82
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Got the AARP @2000/ 16.24%. Instant approval. Double pull.

Last 2 years:

15 TU inqs. 756 FICO
20 EX inqs. 730 FICO

23 accounts(waiting on 2 more to report. So 21 at time of app).

3rd Chase account(Amazon, Slate, AARP)

Message 70 of 82
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.