Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chase freedom VS Discover more

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Chase freedom VS Discover more

Recently I've heard people talking about that Chase Freedom has changed their reward program to somewhat like Discover (rotational). I also notice some people say that for Discover your first $3,000 of spending is only worth 0.25% cash rebate and they usually put a cap on how much you can earn. I can't seem to find any more information on neither their websites to actually compare the details. My question is: 

For folk who have experiences with these cards, if I have the choice to apply between the two which one would be more preferable? 

Any input in appreciated.  :smileywink:

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Re: New Chase freedom VS Discover more

IMHO, I think it is too early to tell.  From what I know of both cards:

Discover

(1) Gives you 5% in quarterly categories but with caps.  This quarter they are giving you 5% on travel. 

(2) They also give you bonus categories at various times of the year.  In December, you got double cashback at department stores.  This month you get 5% back on groceries (capped at $200 though)

(3) I love shop Discover --I think this is the best online shopping by far.  Chase isn't even close.

(4) Beyond the categories, the cashback is tiered.

New Chase Freedom

(1) 3% cashback in rotating categories.  I'm not sure if they are going to be capped.  This could determine which is better.

(2) You earn a flat 1% cashback on everything else (no tiers like Discover)

(3) Visa/MC accepted at more places

In sum, I'm not sure which is better.  I will know more in April when the new rewards kick in for Chase Freedom.   If I had to choose right now with all things listed above considered.  I would probably go with the new Freedom.  I think the 3% cashback will be capped and after that you will 1% cashback. 

I hope this helps!

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

howhow16,

I do have both cards and I use those cards by which one gives me more rewards. 

Example in March; 5% Bonus on Grocery Stores  and  Drug Stores  on Discover More Card.

I use my Discover More Card for ONLY 5% Bonus Categories because other than those categories are worthless for me to use it. 

Other than those categories, I use my Freedom because I can earn at least 1% per $1.

Message 3 of 17
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I have recently been approved for both of these cards. Like the OP stated, not much general information available. I'm hoping once I get the cards and able to access the online portal, the sky becomes a little clearer for me.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrChairman wrote:
I have recently been approved for both of these cards. Like the OP stated, not much general information available. I'm hoping once I get the cards and able to access the online portal, the sky becomes a little clearer for me.

Congratulation!  

Once you receive your Discover More card, don't forget to log in to your account at Discovercard.com and Sign Up for the 5% Cash Back Bonus.  If you forgot to sign up for this 5% Cash Back Bonus, it is your fault.  * You can ask csr to sign up for you too. 

5% Cashback Bonus*

Earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $200 in purchases throughout March at:

• Grocery Stores
  • Drug Stores

Earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $400 in purchases from April through June at:Home Improvement Stores

• Department Stores
  • Clothing Stores
Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 03-03-2010 01:19 PM
Message 5 of 17
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Umm...bunnyrabbit, I wish that was how it worked!  The purchases eligible for the 5% cashback are capped at the limits stated.

In March, for example, the first $200 in grocery purchases gets 5%, maximum reward on that is $10.  And, that $200 is not counted towards fulfillment of any tier requirements, i.e., it does not count towards the $3k in purchases to reach the full 1% back tier.

Bummer.

(If you started with a card that previously had absolutely no activity, the $8000 in purchases at the home improvement store (if signed up) would yield $73.50 in total cashback rewards, equal to just under 1 percent rewards, or .0091875)

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 03-03-2010 07:21 AM
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm looks like I will look for another car do apply then...

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Umm...bunnyrabbit, I wish that was how it worked!  The purchases eligible for the 5% cashback are capped at the limits stated.

In March, for example, the first $200 in grocery purchases gets 5%, maximum reward on that is $10.  And, that $200 is not counted towards fulfillment of any tier requirements, i.e., it does not count towards the $3k in purchases to reach the full 1% back tier.

Bummer.

(If you started with a card that previously had absolutely no activity, the $8000 in purchases at the home improvement store (if signed up) would yield $73.50 in total cashback rewards, equal to just under 1 percent rewards, or .0091875)

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 03-03-2010 07:21 AM

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

howhow16, I am sorry for my misread.  Please see my edited message bellow the original message.   You just need to choose and use the CCs wisely.   For that, you are doing the right thing .... Research and get the information.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those who have a business INK is old Freedrom My wamu biz got convert to freedom for Biz a 2k/month cap on 2% bonus and redeem for cash $900 for a $1000
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
For those who have a business INK is old Freedrom My wamu biz got convert to freedom for Biz a 2k/month cap on 2% bonus and redeem for cash $900 for a $1000

That's so WONDERFUL!  Smiley Very Happy

I am thinking ... after my rewards program changes by end of April, when I go to the shopping, pay for the items separately on each receipt. 

Example, if you make a total purchase of $400/mo and total transaction of 80 (Ave. $5/item):

400 Base pts, 40 Bonus pts, 800 Bonus pts/purchase, and total will be 1240 pts = $12.40    =))

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.