Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chevron/Texaco program

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Chevron/Texaco program

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 4.50.14 PM.png

Just got this. Don't know if this will make it preferable to SM (or Freedom for the quarter), but it's something to consider. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Chevron/Texaco program

looks very interesting! 

Message 2 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I cancelled my Chevron card.

5% on SM ($250 monthly cap) and 5% Sam's MC ($6,000 yearly cap) seems to be a better deal... at least according to my napkin math.  

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 15
happypill
Valued Contributor

I don't know about you guys, but around me Chevron stations always seem to be $.10-$.20 more expensive than other stations nearby.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not many of thoese brands around the Northeast that I have seen. I have my PenFed Cash Rewards for 5% off gas.

Message 5 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

meh.

Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

I cancelled my Chevron card.

5% on SM ($250 monthly cap) and 5% Sam's MC ($6,000 yearly cap) seems to be a better deal... at least according to my napkin math.  

If you put $1,000 a month "other" spend on the card in a month, you will get 23c a gallon off, which is more than 5% in most places (national average today is 2.80 a gallon according to AAA(.   A 5% card would give 14c, so this gives 9c per gallon more.

But it looks like there are no other rewards, so if you put that $1000 a month on a 2% card, you would get $20 more,   Which means this card would win over an uncapped 5% if you use more than 220 gallons a month, but then you would run into the $300 a year maximum in a few months

So probably not a great deal for a lot of people!

Message 7 of 15
doctorofcredit
Valued Member

What am I missing? Isn't this the exact same rewards program they previously offered? Somebody help me out here...

TU08 - 823
Message 8 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Not sure about what has changed about the program but I'd adivse reading reviews of the cards from those who have actual experience with them before applying.

Message 9 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Not sure about what has changed about the program but I'd adivse reading reviews of the cards from those who have actual experience with them before applying.

Have the card, my car's tank of gas normally lasts me over 2 weeks, there is no way I can swing this to work for me, I think. IDK, would it be worth it to run money through this over Amex BCE? 2%. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.