Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Citi Card

tag
hawaii2014
New Visitor

New Citi Card

I've had a Citi  card since mid 2000's; in roughly 2010, I had a financial hardship occur and worked out a 0% 60 month plan with Citi and they closed the account, however it is noted that I closed the account. (Note: I was never 30 days late) I'm still on the payment plan, however my financial situation has significantly improved. I would like to apply for a new Citi card and was wondering if I would be automatically denied because I'm still on the plan that was started several years ago?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: New Citi Card

@hawaii2014 wrote:

I've had a Citi  card since mid 2000's; in roughly 2010, I had a financial hardship occur and worked out a 0% 60 month plan with Citi and they closed the account, however it is noted that I closed the account. (Note: I was never 30 days late) I'm still on the payment plan, however my financial situation has significantly improved. I would like to apply for a new Citi card and was wondering if I would be automatically denied because I'm still on the plan that was started several years ago?

^^^^

Looks like the plan was agreed upon and I assume nothing derogatory on your creidt report. There's only one way to find out...apply

Message 2 of 9
tcbofade
Super Contributor

You might want to check for pre approvals first...while not a guarantee, it's generally a good sign. 

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 9
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@hawaii2014 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  Before I would suggest applying, knowing how much is left on the unpaid balance and your current credit profile would be beneficial. 

Message 5 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Lexie. Need more info and if it is possible would be better to pay off the balance before acquiring any more Citi debt. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
bobbay
Established Contributor

if it were me i would not try citi until account is paid in full.  I doubt they will open a new line with a old closed line with a balance regardless of payment history.  There are some that may but my bet is citi ... no.  I have no personal experience with this with citi but have a long relationship with them and they tend to be conservative and quirky sometimes and care free when all your ducks are in order.

Just my .02 cents

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 7 of 9
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

im from Hawaii, oahu!
PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 8 of 9
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

if it were me i would not try citi until account is paid in full.  I doubt they will open a new line with a old closed line with a balance regardless of payment history.  There are some that may but my bet is citi ... no.  I have no personal experience with this with citi but have a long relationship with them and they tend to be conservative and quirky sometimes and care free when all your ducks are in order.

Just my .02 cents

This was my feeling too. Citi tends not to be too forgiving if they had to eat a loss on a credit account, although the only anecdotes I've read were IIB.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.