Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Citi Prestige Card

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

New Citi Prestige Card

People have posted about this before, but I noticed that the Citibank website formally added their new version of the Prestige World Elite Mastercard the other day. It seems like it has some pretty nice perks for luxury and travel-oriented cardholders:

-2 points for every dollar you spend at dining establishments
-30,000 ThankYou Point sign-up bonus
-Citi Flight Points
-Anniversary Bonus
-EMV chip and no FTF

-$200 airline fee credit
-15% flights booked through Citi
-Free annual companion ticket
-Complimentary Hilton HHonors Gold
-$100 Global Entry application fee credit.
-Lounge access (Airport Angel), special concierge, travel offers, etc.

For $400 a year, it seems like a good deal for people who would take advantage of all the benefits (aka not me). Any takers?

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: New Citi Prestige Card

it seems like a compitor to the CSP

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 22
kekrre
Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:
People have posted about this before, but I noticed that the Citibank website formally added their new version of the Prestige World Elite Mastercard the other day. It seems like it has some pretty nice perks for luxury and travel-oriented cardholders:

-Citi Flight Points
-Anniversary Bonus
-EMV chip and no FTF

-$200 airline fee credit

For $400 a year, it seems like a good deal for people who would take advantage of all the benefits (aka not me). Any takers?

This is actually a pretty decent card for those who fly enough. If you have enough flight points that you never "run dry", then it's effectively a 2% everywhere, 4% dining card. If you redeem your points for travel, the it's a 2.66% everywhere, 5.32% dining card. $200 airline fee credit doesn't say anything about being locked into one particular airline, unlike the Amex Platinum, but it does say that the charges should be <$100.

Hilon HHonors Gold comes with free wifi (I think), and is probably worth it if you're a Hilton stayer... On the other hand, Airport Angel is UK based and seems like it isn't all that useful to US domestic flyers.

The anniversary bonus is spend-targeted, blows CSP out of the water, and is clearly targeted towards high rollers and checking account customers.

I'm not sure how good a deal the annual companion ticket is, since the wording seems to imply you need to purchase a full-fare ticket (Y?) and get the lowest fare ticket as your companion ticket. Has anyone had any experience with the Citi TY Premier companion ticket?

I don't fly anywhere near enough to make the Flight Points system work for me, but I believe the points are retroactive - e.g. if you spend $10,000, get 10,000 TY points, then fly 10,000 miles and get 10,000 Flight Points, the FPs are automatically credited as TY points.

And I believe it is more targeted at Platinum/Palladium/Airport Lounge Cards. It may be fairly comparable to the Chase Ritz card.

|||||||
Message 3 of 22
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@kekrre wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

-Citi Flight Points
-Anniversary Bonus
-EMV chip and no FTF

-$200 airline fee credit

This is actually a pretty decent card for those who fly enough. If you have enough flight points that you never "run dry", then it's effectively a 2% everywhere, 4% dining card. If you redeem your points for travel, the it's a 2.66% everywhere, 5.32% dining card. $200 airline fee credit doesn't say anything about being locked into one particular airline, unlike the Amex Platinum, but it does say that the charges should be <$100.

Hilon HHonors Gold comes with free wifi (I think), and is probably worth it if you're a Hilton stayer... On the other hand, Airport Angel is UK based and seems like it isn't all that useful to US domestic flyers.

The anniversary bonus is spend-targeted, blows CSP out of the water, and is clearly targeted towards high rollers and checking account customers.

I'm not sure how good a deal the annual companion ticket is, since the wording seems to imply you need to purchase a full-fare ticket (Y?) and get the lowest fare ticket as your companion ticket. Has anyone had any experience with the Citi TY Premier companion ticket?

I don't fly anywhere near enough to make the Flight Points system work for me, but I believe the points are retroactive - e.g. if you spend $10,000, get 10,000 TY points, then fly 10,000 miles and get 10,000 Flight Points, the FPs are automatically credited as TY points.

And I believe it is more targeted at Platinum/Palladium/Airport Lounge Cards. It may be fairly comparable to the Chase Ritz card.

When I look at the benefits, it says the bonus is on points earned, up to 5% once you are a cardmember for 4 years or more.  CSP is a 7% bonus on points earned.  How does this blow CSP out of the water?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 22
kekrre
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@kekrre wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

-Citi Flight Points
-Anniversary Bonus
-EMV chip and no FTF

-$200 airline fee credit

When I look at the benefits, it says the bonus is on points earned, up to 5% once you are a cardmember for 4 years or more.  CSP is a 7% bonus on points earned.  How does this blow CSP out of the water?

You're just looking at the wrong thing Smiley Happy

The relationship bonus is as follows:

Annual spend <$50,000: 5%

Annual spend between $50,000 and $100,000: 10%

Annual spend >$100,000: 20%

CitiGold relationship bonus is an additional 5%, 10%, and 15% respectively for each of those spend thresholds, respectively.

CitiPrivate Bank relationship bonus is an additional 15%, 20%, and 30% respectively, for a total annual bonus of up to 50% (for high rollers!), which I think handily beats the CSP's flat 7%.

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-prestige-card/

*click on "Additional Information" - I don't think I can link directly*

|||||||
Message 5 of 22
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I'll pass but it is an attractive card.

Message 6 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

This card is a niche product but can be very good for a limited crowd. If your annual spend is 50k and you have Citigold, or if your annual spend is 100k, you'll be getting 20% which is pretty good. 100k plus Citigold is a 35% bonus. You'll need to fly 50-100k miles per year or more to maximize the benefits, but if you're a heavy flier and spender this is an excellent card. Hilton gold doesn't mean much given that it comes with the Hilton Reserve card, and airport angel is a disappointment. It's inferior to priority pass select and lounge club. They probably assumed that people who fly that much will have full lounge access already through their primary airline alliance. Thus airport angel seems just like a throw in. The $200 airline credit is good for reducing the effective annual fee to $200.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 22
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I called yesterday and had my Hilton Reserve card converted to the Prestige (will become effective around March 21st, don't remember the exact date she told me).  While the benefits aren't exactly the same as my Amex Platinum, they are close enough that I'll be either dropping it at renewal or downgrading to another Amex charge card. By doing the conversion, I'll lose the $95 annual fee of the Reserve and the $450 annual fee of the Platinum and replace them with one $400 fee while having essentially the same benefits.  All of my flights are with Star Alliance airlines and I have lounge access through my United Presidential Plus card.  Since Chase has many of the good travel cards now, Membership Rewards points have become much less valuable to me since they can no longer be transferred to United airlines or Priority Club.  Many of the redemption options left are of no value to me, so the Prestige card should suit my needs quite well. 

Message 8 of 22
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

I'll pass but it is an attractive card.

+1 !

Looks to me like they are trying to compete with AMEX Platinum and JP Morgan Palladium, rather than CSP, if one looks at that annual fee.  $400?  No thanks!  Happy with what I have. 

Since The Chairman card has been discontinued, this appears to be the successor to that card. 

Message 9 of 22
stone
Regular Contributor

I think new Forward is also on its way... haha

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.