Regular Contributor
IrishPM

New Citi rates kicked in...

Received a notice in December 2009 from Citi regarding my AAdvantage AMEX card that the APR would increase from 14.99% to 20.99% starting at my February 2010 billing cycle. Glad I pay in full each month.

However, I did call them to ask about a 'product change'...I wanted to convert the AAdvantage AMEX to the AAdvantage Mastercard for no other reason than the AMEX card isn't as widely accepted when I travel overseas. I was told that due to the new 'credit card rules and regs' from our imperial federal government, Citi will no longer offer a 'product change' from its current customers. The CSR said the only way to get the card I wanted to 'switch' to is to apply for the new card. I wasn't buying it so I said 'thanks but no thanks'....with FICO scores hovering in the 720's, I don't think I'd qualify for a new card so why waste the hard pull?

Valued Contributor
MrShush

Re: New Citi rates kicked in...

[ Edited ]

IrishPM wrote:

Received a notice in December 2009 from Citi regarding my AAdvantage AMEX card that the APR would increase from 14.99% to 20.99% starting at my February 2010 billing cycle. Glad I pay in full each month.

However, I did call them to ask about a 'product change'...I wanted to convert the AAdvantage AMEX to the AAdvantage Mastercard for no other reason than the AMEX card isn't as widely accepted when I travel overseas. I was told that due to the new 'credit card rules and regs' from our imperial federal government, Citi will no longer offer a 'product change' from its current customers. The CSR said the only way to get the card I wanted to 'switch' to is to apply for the new card. I wasn't buying it so I said 'thanks but no thanks'....with FICO scores hovering in the 720's, I don't think I'd qualify for a new card so why waste the hard pull?

That part is interesting. Considering those phone reps are still in sales, applying for a new card adds to their goals. I had something similar pulled on me with FIA; I called a few years back asking for a rate reduction because my scores in no way justified the 16% I was paying so they insisted I apply for a BoA card and transfer the balance. Not thinking about it at the time, I app'd and they got another card out of me :smileyindifferent: As for Citi, it seems that you'll get a different answer from each CSR. There are threads indicating customers having issues or being denied product changes because they no longer did them (meanwhile, I completed one). Foolishness!

Message Edited by MrShush on 02-16-2010 08:49 AM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}