Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Credit Advice

Hello. I am starting to build my credit and want to do so well. Currently I have a few student loans and a $300 CL Mastercard. My credit score is 669 (Experian). I use the Mastercard once a month to buy gas and then I pay it right off.

Ever since I started pondering building my score I've been looking at the United/Continental cards (Mileage Plus/Onepass plus). I travel a fair often to visit family and the miles accrual is worth it to me. What are my chances with my current situation? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Credit Advice

CCCs look at more than just your score.  Where did you get that EX score from?

Do you have any lates, COs, etc on your CR?  Long credit history?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX score came from my CC bank as part of their new credit information package. 

No lates,  what is a CO? and my credit history is less than a year. Like I said, just starting to build after graduating.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess If you have no lates you wouldn't technically even be able to have a CO (charge off).  It's basically where someone doesn't pay their balance for a long enough period of time that the lender basically writes off the debt as uncollectable or, not likely to be collected.  It's a bad mark on a credit report.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I am starting to build my credit and want to do so well. Currently I have a few student loans and a $300 CL Mastercard. My credit score is 669 (Experian). I use the Mastercard once a month to buy gas and then I pay it right off.

Ever since I started pondering building my score I've been looking at the United/Continental cards (Mileage Plus/Onepass plus). I travel a fair often to visit family and the miles accrual is worth it to me. What are my chances with my current situation? Any other advice?

Thanks!

I would say wait until you have a year of history.     Income counts too, so if that is ok, good chance, IMO.  

Message 6 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

This link may help in the future.   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458/message-uid/8...

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.