Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card Advice or Suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Credit Card Advice or Suggestions

So i just applied for a capital one no hassle rewards card and was "approved" for $300. It was a little low but considering I only have 4 months of credit history I am content for the time being. My question is if I wait a 6 months and ask to increase my credit limit then is it still possible to apply for another credit card around the same time without hurting my score too much AND be accepted for it? I want to get into American Express or even get a Discover card. I eventually want to have 2 cards by early 2012  with a CL of $5000+. Is this too much to ask? 

My credentials from Experian

AAOA: 4 months (.4 years)

# number of accounts: 1 (car lease)

Inquiries: 4

No late payments or delinquencies 

No public records

Utilization: 0 (no credit cards)

Credit score is 700

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Credit Card Advice or Suggestions

Wait until you have 6-12 months of history, and you should be good for the Amex Zync.

As for the Cap1 card, look up "credit steps," I am sure your card will go to $500 after a certain number of on time payments and never going over the limit.

As for Discover, I would wait until you have at least 1 year of credit history to go after them.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jthedges wrote:

Wait until you have 6-12 months of history, and you should be good for the Amex Zync.

As for the Cap1 card, look up "credit steps," I am sure your card will go to $500 after a certain number of on time payments and never going over the limit.

As for Discover, I would wait until you have at least 1 year of credit history to go after them.

+1

I would actually wait 6 months, then apply for a Citibank card. They love clean slates that have just started to build positive credit history. Keep your utilization low for the next 6 months or so (wait until 6 months of history is reporting), then apply for Citibank. Another 6-12 months, then go for Amex and Disc. That'd be my method, anyway.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. If I have to wait that long then what credit card would be good other than Citibank or AMEX in terms of travel rewards? My capital one's low CL limits me from making any travel charges or any emergencies so I want to get a card that either has a great rewards program or good beginning CL/low interest. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For any good major reward card, you're going to have to prove yourself. One tradeline and no history yet is not going to get you anything substantial. If you want another tradeline to help you, a store card could do that. But I don't see you getting any good rewards cards until you have a couple of tradelines showing some history.

Message 5 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You might want to consider getting one or two secured loans with your local bank and/or CU to help build your history and increase your number of TL. That helped me to rebuild credit and didn't want to have the cash outlay for a secured CC. It doesn't affect your cash flow because they are usually 90 to 100% loans. So, if you deposit $1000 in the bank, you can withdraw $900 to $1000 as the loan (depending on the policy of your bank/cu).

The interest is usually really low, too... a point or two above the interest you earn on the savings acct., so you're not paying 20% interest! It's a pretty easy and inexpensive way to add TLs to your CR.

The one caveat is that you need to be sure they will report your loan and payments each month to the 3 CRAs. I had to ask that they do this specifically for me with my bank. I think the CU was going to do it anyway. So, you'll need to be sure because not all places will report those types of loans.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 9
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Ya I would wait for 6-12 months for a CLI.   I think the recommended CLI request if your keeping ballances low and paying on time is 3 times your current limit.  So,.. 300 X 3 = 900 new credit limit request in 6-12 months.

For a second credit card you would have an easier time getting a store credit (gas card) or a credit card from a credit union.  

if you really are that worried about getting denied for another card I would suggest spending the 10 bucks or whatever it is to see what your credit score is before you risk getting another Inquirie.  

Good luck keeping your utilization low.  

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 7 of 9
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I think you may want to wait for Discover for a while. Maybe even 2 years. They are a pain to deal with

with high starting APR and low original CLs. Case and point 745 EQ got a lousy $2500 with 17.99%.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I must be patient for another couple of months then. Thank you all for the replies. Its partly exciting trying to get financially stable enough to get the "prestigious" cards. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.