Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card

tag
Involus
Regular Contributor

New Credit Card

What is the best thing to do with a new card? Should I max it the first month and PIF or util like 30% and PIF? I'm not really sure, hopefully some of you can provide me some insight. What expierences have you guys had that came out to be the best plan of action with a new card, basically?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: New Credit Card

Use it responsibly.  Buy a tank of gas and then pay it off before the statement closes.  The best thing to do is have your total utilization between 1 and 9 percent (FICO penalizes you for paying all your credit card bills).  If you total utilization on all your cards is already higher than this or within this range, then there is no need to carry a balance on it.  In fact, having too many accounts with a balance is also bad.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

use it responsibly and PIF.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@John060675 wrote:

Use it responsibly.  Buy a tank of gas and then pay it off before the statement closes.  The best thing to do is have your total utilization between 1 and 9 percent (FICO penalizes you for paying all your credit card bills).  If you total utilization on all your cards is already higher than this or within this range, then there is no need to carry a balance on it.  In fact, having too many accounts with a balance is also bad.

Lets clarify... If you pay all your credit cards to $0 balance before the statement cuts... then yes it looks like your not using credit and it will start to effect you a little bit.  However paying your bill in full when you receive the statement is a good thing... you do not need to revolve a balance month to month and pay interest for Fico.

Message 4 of 5
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I don't know what your CL is...but if you are looking to get a CLI, I would use the card hard (up to 70% of available credit) than PIF before your statement is dued. Always PIF before your statement is dued and over-time, your lender will increase your CL.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.