Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Discover secured graduation policy

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: New Discover secured graduation policy

@austinguy907 wrote:

MyLo / Grasshopper - Seems like you guys have alot of moving parts still.  

Grasshopper mentions a new Chase card... $500 limit shows you're still kind of borderline but, making some progress with the approval.  This will give Disco something to compare to for history as it builds up.

MyLo - yeah, there seems to be some odd stuff going on with these unsecured approvals for frech BKs lately.  not sure why they're coming out with them since they're pretty conervative about this sort of thing.

BTW the reviews happen after your statement cuts each month not when the score updates.  Usually when they do it it's the same week as the statement cuts and you get an Auto CLI which is the indicator that something is happening with your account.  The one thing I've noticed about the secured accounts is in the last 6-12 months with their policy change from reviewing at 12 months down to 7 months is that they started converting more accounts more frequently.  There's hope in converting....Just takes some time to process everything.

This is what I think is happeneing as well. As for why mine is going on 12 with no graduation, I think they are applying that 7 month review  policy to accounts that were not past the 7 months when they started that policy. Mine was about 10 months so maybe they didn't mess with it. Not sure. Its ok either way. I don't rely on the card and my UTIL is at 32% right now but that will change as soon as my tax return gets here. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 41 of 91
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Yeah, 32% of 90K is about 30K in CC debt... that might do the trick in getting Disco to move.  The following month they will probably say Here's a million bucks to go spend Smiley Happy  ok ok maybe $2K to go spend.

Message 42 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ls2016 wrote:
My 7th statement closed on the 18th. Woke up this morning to find out my discover unsecured. My starting limit was $300, increase of $450, now at $750. Looking forward to getting my $300 back.
EQ score at the time I got the secured card was 589, now at 648. EX was at 610, now at 648. Yours is on the way, OP.

Congrats Is2016!  Have you tried the luv button yet?

Message 43 of 91
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Yeah, 32% of 90K is about 30K in CC debt... that might do the trick in getting Disco to move.  The following month they will probably say Here's a million bucks to go spend Smiley Happy  ok ok maybe $2K to go spend.

lol. Agreed and I would be okay knowing that. I know why they don't say this is why...but I wish they would lol. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 44 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

MyLo / Grasshopper - Seems like you guys have alot of moving parts still.  

Grasshopper mentions a new Chase card... $500 limit shows you're still kind of borderline but, making some progress with the approval.  This will give Disco something to compare to for history as it builds up.

MyLo - yeah, there seems to be some odd stuff going on with these unsecured approvals for frech BKs lately.  not sure why they're coming out with them since they're pretty conervative about this sort of thing.

BTW the reviews happen after your statement cuts each month not when the score updates.  Usually when they do it it's the same week as the statement cuts and you get an Auto CLI which is the indicator that something is happening with your account.  The one thing I've noticed about the secured accounts is in the last 6-12 months with their policy change from reviewing at 12 months down to 7 months is that they started converting more accounts more frequently.  There's hope in converting....Just takes some time to process everything.

Yup waiting for the Disco to settle in, hopefully with an auto CLI (I'm at $600 secured) and then a CLI soon after. I hope going to Chase was the right call. I was going to wait until after Disco graduation, but when the $300 prequal rolled in for the very card I wanted, how could I refuse?

So graduation won't necesarily be reflected on the statement since the review is after? This week is statement #7 for me btw.

Also I see your other post to wait a week before hitting the luv button. It'll be hard to wait because I'll be all excited when I graduate, but I'll try to be patient Smiley Very Happy

Message 45 of 91
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ls2016 wrote:
My 7th statement closed on the 18th. Woke up this morning to find out my discover unsecured. My starting limit was $300, increase of $450, now at $750. Looking forward to getting my $300 back.
EQ score at the time I got the secured card was 589, now at 648. EX was at 610, now at 648. Yours is on the way, OP.

Congrats Is2016!  Have you tried the luv button yet?

I tried it! No luck! Oh well...I'll play the waiting game.

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 46 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

The little details like employer don't matter.   The only way to update that is usually to apply for something that they will report it as part of the application.  Most of that is used for things like ID verify when you have to answer 4 questions before being granted access to things like your annual credit report.  Think of this process of Disco graduating like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil.  When you stop watching it starts boiling.  They could be just keeping an eye on your application history and waiting to see if you're able to resist the urge for the first 6 months.  Maybe they're watching your balances to see if they're consistent, going down, or going up.  There could be a variety of things but, over thinking it and keeping an eye on them 2-3 times a day doesn't really get the ball moving more than just letting time pass.

I am actually ok with it not graduating. I use it but not a lot. Its at the 12 month mark and that is what garnered my attention. I won't be adding any funds to it. Its still at the original $200. What I am worried most about is why it won't. I have perfect credit over the last 4 years and I get virtually no love from any card compnay excpet Synchrony. My sister was 3 months out of CH7 (March of last year) and gets approved for unsecured Disco with $3k limit. Its the behind the scenes I am curious about. 

Just saw the part now about your sister... I have NEVER seen on here Disco doing anything like that. They seem to love the clean, thin files.

Message 47 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

Statement 7 cut and no sign of graduation. Is it worth a call or chat, or should I hang tight for a couple days? Not sure how long the system has taken for others.

Message 48 of 91
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Statement 7 cut and no sign of graduation. Is it worth a call or chat, or should I hang tight for a couple days? Not sure how long the system has taken for others.

I wouldn't worry with calling. I don't think the reps themselves know anything and won't do anything but apologize and make you wait. My 2-26 statement finally dropped last night. that is technically my 12th since my first on hit in March of 2016. No changes here either except they finally took "Chrome" off the card details. I put a charge on it last night that has not yet been run. $197 out of $200 and as soon as it hits I will pay it off again. Since they evaluate these things while generating the statement, maybe next month. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 49 of 91
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't worry with calling. I don't think the reps themselves know anything and won't do anything but apologize and make you wait. My 2-26 statement finally dropped last night. that is technically my 12th since my first on hit in March of 2016. No changes here either except they finally took "Chrome" off the card details. I put a charge on it last night that has not yet been run. $197 out of $200 and as soon as it hits I will pay it off again. Since they evaluate these things while generating the statement, maybe next month. 

Makes sense. I did start a thread over here you might be interested in http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Disco-Data-Points-How-long-after-a-statement-did-your-card/td-p/4874921

You spent $197 of the $200 or that's the available? My statement now cut with 1.5% util. I guess we'll be crossing our fingers for each other! Smiley Very Happy

Message 50 of 91
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.