Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FICO member with Low APR aspirations

tag
mosnet99

New FICO member with Low APR aspirations

Hello All,

Just asked Cap1 to lower my APR from 23% (good luck, right?) and they offered a dismal barely lower temporary rate. So I'll just keep $5 revolving on the card but not use it. I'm looking for a 12%-15% APR CC but from what I can see on here its pretty rare with my CS. I will be trying to continue to build my credit to 700, but can anyone give suggestions on any cards with sub 20% APR and "good" mid 600s credit?

PS - My bankruptcy discharged in 7/13 and Citi was the only bank that got burned. Also, my FICO 8 is 681

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 664
Goal Score: 725

Bankruptcy Discharge: 7/5/13
EX 664/ FICO8 BC 681
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: New FICO member with Low APR aspirations

When your scores eventually get higher, if it is low APR cards you are looking for, one place I would highly recommend (I do not work for them, just as a disclaimer, I am just a huge fan of their cc products) is Western (a.k.a. Unify) FCU.  Anyone can apply for them, without any geographical restrictions, unlike a lot of CUs. 

http://www.western.org

2 of their credit card products with low rates that might potentially interest you:

(1)  Fixed-rate VISA, advertised as low as 8.99% F, at https://www.western.org/fixed-rate-visa-credit-card

(2)  Variable-rate VISA, advertised as low as 5.24% V, at https://www.western.org/variable-rate-visa-credit-card

Message 2 of 8
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Another low-APR card recommendation for you, once your scores are higher:  the Barclay Ring card, at 8.25% V across-the-board APR for purchases, BT, and cash advances.  It also has no BT fees and a $3 fee per cash advance.

Message 3 of 8
mosnet99

@galahad15 wrote:

Another low-APR card recommendation for you, once your scores are higher:  the Barclay Ring card, at 8.25% V across-the-board APR for purchases, BT, and cash advances.  It also has no BT fees and a $3 fee per cash advance.

When you say get higher, what would you say is good score to have to apply for these?

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 664
Goal Score: 725

Bankruptcy Discharge: 7/5/13
EX 664/ FICO8 BC 681
Message 4 of 8
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@mosnet99 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

When you say get higher, what would you say is good score to have to apply for these?

Others on the forum here might be more knowledgeable than me on the exact approximate scores needed, but I know I was approved for the Western/Unify Fixed-Rate VISA at scores somewhere between 720-735 (at the time).  I think I was approved for the Barclay Ring with a score around 670-690 (something like that; can't remember specifically as it was 3 years ago), but since they only approved me with an initial SL of $500, if I had to guesstimate, I think maybe you should apply for that if/when your scores get to around like 700-720 maybe?  Again just a guess tho, YMMV...

Message 5 of 8
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Also:  if you also google "credit pulls database", there is another forum (can't post the exact link here, as per TOS rules), where you can actually look up approval scores for various cc lenders.

ETA:  corrected typo

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look into a local CU, as CUs typically have low rates.

For example, my university CU has a 8.99% card w/o no rewards and a 12.99% card @ 1.1% cash back.

Another option is Amex as they are generous with APR reductions. Have had their Delta Gold card for less than 3 months and have gone from 19.49% to 16.24% to 13.49%, just by requesting through online chat.

Message 7 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If and when applying for the Ring and denied, remember they are good to recon a denial.
Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.