Did you mean: 

New GM credit card

tag
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

New GM credit card

Issued by Cap One

http://m.freep.com/autosbusiness/article?a=2013310160024&f=1235

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
MrFlower
New Contributor

Re: New GM credit card

I was hopping until "cannot combine the credit card rewards with their GM Employee/Friends and Family/GM Supplier discount". I really wish GM/Cap would up the 1% for the family card. Would make the gm card worth having.

Message 2 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

WHAT??? 5% for first $5k each year and 2% for all others with no categories or cap??

What if you don't buy or lease a car or currently earn one... then to the rewards turn into .5% or something to use as cash or??

Message 3 of 31
andre181
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

WHAT??? 5% for first $5k each year and 2% for all others with no categories or cap??

What if you don't buy or lease a car or currently earn one... then to the rewards turn into .5% or something to use as cash or??

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like rewards can only be used towards the purchase or lease of a new GM vehicle. You cash the rewards in at the time of purchase so it act like a down payment.

I was really excited about this too, until I read can't be combined with GM supplier discount. The company I work for is a GM supplier and the discount is pretty good so it would be awesome to combine this with that. Oh well!

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@andre181 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like rewards can only be used towards the purchase or lease of a new GM vehicle. You cash the rewards in at the time of purchase so it act like a down payment.

I was really excited about this too, until I read can't be combined with GM supplier discount. The company I work for is a GM supplier and the discount is pretty good so it would be awesome to combine this with that. Oh well!

+1

What a bummer!  It's a very interesting looking card indeed.

Message 5 of 31
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@andre181 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Yeah I was excited for a minute as well.  Bummer, it's probably the best looking Cap1 card I've seen in awhile.

Message 6 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

So what you literally forfeit all rewards if you don't lease or buy a car?!!
Message 7 of 31
lithium78
Established Contributor

It's too bad Ford doesn't offer a card like that.  I only buy Fords because I'm a green car enthusiast and GM's only decent green car is the Volt (which is prohibitively expensive for my budget.)

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay now went to website.
Guess they offer such high rewards because it is only for car purchase or lease use.
They do have family version to combine discounts of employees but for sure lower rewards but also can be used for cash back.
The business version is still chase backed.

Man if I was buying a gm talk about the best card out there let alone best capital one!!!
Message 9 of 31
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Seems very interesting...

Although I don't want to get it right away, it's on the top of my list for when I'm ready in the next couple of years. Chevy has some very affordable cars in their line-up, and I could see myself using these rewards toward a new car in my future!

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.