Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Guy Here

tag
Duc848
Valued Member

New Guy Here

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and finally signed up. I have been able to learn a lot and my credit has improved because of it. At the beginning of July I had FAKO scores of TU 653 EX 618 EQ 627. At the beginning of August my scores went to 723 690 and 680 FAKO. I decided to go on a app spree to see if I could get some prime cards because I only had two capital ones with 750 cl. I was approved for citi diamond preferred 1500, Bank of America cash rewards 1000, chase slate 500 and discover it 1500. Also asked for cli from cap one EO and was raised to 1000 on each. I applied for Amex bce was declined and declined after recon. Anyone have any advice for me how to get in with Amex and how to get higher credit limits with my current cards? A little background info...I have 4 lates from 2010, no charge offs bankruptcies collections or public records. I owed $600 on each of my capital ones. I paid one off 2 weeks ago and will pay the other off this month. All other cards have 0 balance. Income is 55k. Aaoa is 2yr2mo

Thanks for the response in advance guys and thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you all have provided on the forum.
3000 6000 55002000 25005000
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Eightiron
Contributor

Re: New Guy Here

I have heard AmEx doesnt like to see a bunch of inquiries.  They dont seem to like to play second fiddle.  Garden the new cards you got (congrats on them BTW)  And once those inq's gain some age, give AmEx a call.

Gardening now for that spring harvest Entered 9/4/13 leaving 4/14
Message 2 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats!  Garden the cards you have 6 months to a year. Time showing you can handle the cards you have will give you CLI and good chance at AMEX.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Duc848 wrote:
Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while and finally signed up. I have been able to learn a lot and my credit has improved because of it. At the beginning of July I had FAKO scores of TU 653 EX 618 EQ 627. At the beginning of August my scores went to 723 690 and 680 FAKO. I decided to go on a app spree to see if I could get some prime cards because I only had two capital ones with 750 cl. I was approved for citi diamond preferred 1500, Bank of America cash rewards 1000, chase slate 500 and discover it 1500. Also asked for cli from cap one EO and was raised to 1000 on each. I applied for Amex bce was declined and declined after recon. Anyone have any advice for me how to get in with Amex and how to get higher credit limits with my current cards? A little background info...I have 4 lates from 2010, no charge offs bankruptcies collections or public records. I owed $600 on each of my capital ones. I paid one off 2 weeks ago and will pay the other off this month. All other cards have 0 balance. Income is 55k. Aaoa is 2yr2mo

Thanks for the response in advance guys and thank you all for the wealth of knowledge you all have provided on the forum.

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the new TL's it now time to garden and work on your CR's for the next 9 months which could put you in a great position for Amex if you can get some things on your CR's corrected 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 12
Duc848
Valued Member

Thanks guys. I was planning on gardening for 6 months and then trying for the bce when all my cards have reported for a while. I was planning on writing goodwill letters to BofA and capital one but don't know if it is worth it or will work? How much are the baddies affecting my score at this point?
Message 5 of 12
Duc848
Valued Member

Like I said I plan on having all my cards paid by the end of this month. What else could I have corrected on my reports?
Message 6 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Duc848 wrote:
Like I said I plan on having all my cards paid by the end of this month. What else could I have corrected on my reports?

Try GW letters for lates 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! IMO, wait until your new accts age. It has been stated that charge cards are easier than revolvers. However, I strongly believe you should apply for the cc you want/need.
Message 8 of 12
Duc848
Valued Member

Thanks lexie. I was tempted to apply for a charge card just to get my foot in the door, but I couldn't justify the annual fee. I guess I will garden for a while and they'll give it to me when I deserve it lol.
Message 9 of 12
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Duc848 wrote:

A better idea would of been to hang tight until you paid off those two Cap 1 cards (and they reported) $600/750 is 80% UTI and definatly hurt your scores. As for AMEX if you really want to try now you can app for the PRG (link included below) becuase it's AF is waived for the first year. Still, if you want a better chance just hold off a little while. 

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/premier-rewards-gold/25330?intlink=us-CCSG-ProspectHP...

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.