Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here... Went on App Spree

tag
Scrounger888
Established Member

New Here... Went on App Spree

Hello. New here, although I've been reading for a few months now. I've been working to improve my credit score. When I was just finishing university 11 years ago, I couldn't pay my student loans and they temporarily went into collections. I've paid them off in full and they are gone off my credit report now, so I've been trying to build for a few years, getting a couple of starter cards, a car loan, a line of credit and then a mortgage, then no apps for a couple of years.

I recently went on a ridiculous app spree, first ever, because of those more basic cards, oldest being 14 years, and I decided to finally try for a few more "grown-up" cards with better travel insurances, points, rewards, etc. I signed up to the forum to join the Garden to kill this newfound "app bug" before it gets out of hand!! (It was inspired by you all in the first place Smiley Happy )

I'm Canadian, so my cards might be a bit different than the majority of this board. My post seems to be a bit long but I think if I write it all out you will help me keep on the straight path to a better credit score!

I had pre-spree:

MBNA $4500 limit 14 Years Old

Scotiabank Momentum 2% Visa $2500 2.5 Years Old

Capital One $500 4 Years Old

Canadian Tire Mastercard $1900. 4 Years Old

(And a TD Visa reporting as open and up to date; I still get statements but didn't ever get another card from them. Account is 12 years old though so I'm not going to mess with it).

(Just pre-spree)

So, all at once, I recieved in the mail an offer from Canadian Tire to up my limit to $3900, then an offer from MBNA to up my limit to $7500 (last year a helpful rep PCed it from a basic card to a Platinum Plus Travel Rewards card).

(Begin spree)

Scotiabank sent me a pre-approved offer for their branded Gold American Express (travel insurances, up to 4% returns, and concierge service) for $7500. It's a nice card overall and my new "main" card, although not everywhere takes AmEx in Canada.

So I got silly and asked Capital One for an increase on that measly $500 card. They said no. I asked for a PC. They said no, apply for a new one. So I did. Approved instant decision for a Priority Club Mastercard $5000. (Why they wouldn't just raise my original "starter" card or PC it I don't get but oh well).

On a roll, I went to look at items from Amazon.ca. They offered a sign-up for an Amazon.ca Visa, so I figured why not, it's the only no-annual-fee no-foreign-exchange card in Canada. Surprisingly, they approved instantly for $8700.

Not expecting to have been approved for any of those, I went for what I wanted, a card that gives Aeroplan miles. There are two kinds in Canada, either the AmEx Aeroplan cards or the CIBC Aero Classic/Aerogold/Aerogold Infinite. I thought, hey, I'll app for both and maybe one will approve me. (AmEx Gold Aeroplan and the CIBC Aerogold). I got the 7-10 day message for both, so I figured they were both declined. Next day I got two phone calls, one from AmEx, and one CIBC. AmEx confirmed my employer and then approved right then.

CIBC, however, said that my information didn't match Equifax exactly so I'd have to get Equifax to change it. Two weeks and several calls, faxes and letters later Equifax got it right (there was some swearing, because I don't like being on hold for hours). Called CIBC back and they approved the Aerogold Infinite for $6000. (Pretty black card, it was a step up from the Gold I applied for so I'll definitely take it!)

Since I only wanted one more card in the near future, a low-rate one, I figured I'd try it. Apped for an RBC low rate Visa and got a 3-day wait message. I don't expect to be approved because of my app spree, but I'm not applying for any credit that I'm aware of for years, likely.

So many, many, sign-up bonus points later, I've quadrupled my credit limits, got an AmEx charge card, and caused 3 inq on Eq and 3 on TU, and a bunch of new accounts.

I expect when I pull my score in a few weeks, it will be in the toilet due to AAoA and Inq. However, my utilization is now very low and getting lower, and everything has been paid on time across the board, last late was about 8 years ago.

I'm pleased overall, I got the cards I'd hoped to one day get, that fit what I wish to do with CCs.

Please tether me to the garden posts so I can't leave!

*Runs to the Garden*

In the garden since 30/07/2013.
TU 735
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: New Here... Went on App Spree

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on a very successful spree.

I've saved a nice plot of land for you in the garden. Smiley LOL
Message 2 of 9
blunderer
Established Contributor

Way to go! 

Congratulations!!!!!

Message 3 of 9
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Forum and congrats! 

Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on your spree

We have reserved a spot in the garden for you keep running and don't stop until you get there.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
Lilsnukems
Valued Member

Congratulations!

Now off to the garden with you Smiley LOL

TU FICO: 744 (updated 1/2014) , VantageScore: 760 (updated 7/19/13)
51.5K Total limit with 12.36% utilization, Income 44K
BOA Better Balance Rewards: 10K, CapOne: 5K, BOA Cash Rewards: 10K, Discover It: 8.2K, 1FBUSA: 8.3K, AMEX BCP: 10K
Goals: 800+ FICO score, minimum 10K credit limit on all cards
Message 6 of 9
trying_to_B_good
Contributor

Welcome! You must have one heck of a credit score! ONE OF THE BEST APP SPREES I'VE SEEN ON HERE!Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 9
Scrounger888
Established Member

Thanks for the compliments. I've already entered the garden, and I just got an email saying I was approved for the low rate card as well. Happy. 6/6 and will be in the garden for a while now.

In the garden since 30/07/2013.
TU 735
Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.