cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New House--- need card for appliance purchases.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New House--- need card for appliance purchases.....

If it's purely limits youre looking at, check out Cap One's pre-qual site. The Venture card starts at a minimum 5k. I dont believe they have a 0 apr period though. The ventureone card does but I think that one starts around 3k limits. Good luck and keep us posted Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys, so looks like we'll be closing and have to make some expenditures on new appliances soon.

I want to apply for and get a card with a pretty high balance (like 8000), and am wondering which one I should target.  I've got three cards currently and I've been using them to raise my scores by loweirng overall utilization.   I have a Cap One Quicksilver with a 3K limit (that is with a new CLI from $1 to $3K), a local credit union card with a $500 limit, and a Predator One (opps, Credit One) card with a $500 balance.

I have zero dollar balance on the two toy cards, and an $82 balance on teh Cap One card.

My current Fico scores are all hovering around 675.  With the new mortgage, they'll prob. be affected one way or the other..... unsure. 

But in any event, if someone has a suggestion for me on a new card that will help me along with appliances and also building, that would be great.  Once I get this magical new card, I'll get rid of the Credit One card.

Thanks!

If you get a high credit limit, but have to pay a high interest rate, you're going to wind up in trouble.

I think your best bet for getting a decent size limit coupled with an interest rate that won't be too onerous would be a credit union, e.g. Alliant, Penfed, NASA, or MECU Baltimore

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover. Check out that third quarter. Granted it is capped at $1500, but you'll get ten percent of it back.

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

Besides your 675 scores what does your profile look like? just asking because with your present limits I'm not sure too many "prime" lenders will give you the amount of credit you're looking for in a Visa/MC scenario. 

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

+1 to the above. You also don't have current major cards at the 8k level, so that will be a hindrance in obtaining new credit at that level.

Message 24 of 28
_NERD
Established Contributor

Does Home Depot do good CLIs like Lowes? Does Lowes offer 0%/24 upon opening a new account?

I need to get to that 8k level quickly and without delay.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 25 of 28
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@_NERD wrote:
Does Home Depot do good CLIs like Lowes? Does Lowes offer 0%/24 upon opening a new account?

I started at $2500 with Lowes I'm now at $30k, Opened Home Depot about a year ago at $5k, I'm now at $20k - both have high APR's, but I use the cards for everyday stuff which I PIF, for major purchases I always use their special financing and pay no interest. I should note that the 84 month Lowes major project financing is not zero interest but 5.99% which I have used. Home Depot is offering right now - I don't think it was targeted - 24 months 0% interest on purchases of $1995 or more (might have been $1999 - same thing). I don't know if Lowes is matching it, but they might be - look on their web site for special financing. 

If your current scores are those shown on your post, you might have to apply in the store with your "purchase" because $8000 might be a bit much for those scores and if they grant financing, your utility is going to take a hit. 

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_NERD wrote:

Notice above that I mentioned an 8k major credit card. This would be Mastercard or Visa, not Lowe's store card.

Message 27 of 28
_NERD
Established Contributor

Yes I saw that.

pipeguy: thank you for that info. I want to take advantage of those interest free promotions on purchases over $1995/$1999. I hope to have a good ceiling (limit) to have some headroom leftover after purchasing a fridge, washer & dryer. And maybe some drywall for the garage. Those were my scores on the 1st. CCT informed me today via email of positive changes to my EX report (PIF balances reporting). I'm certain my scores are higher.  I pulled a 3B yesterday and one of my scores went up to 648 with only one PIF updated on the refresh. 

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.